• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

B&C Alternator

16-bravo

wasilla, ak
Ok, I have a question for you electrical types. I am thinking about putting a rear mount alternator on my cub. I already have a bc400 belt driven alternator installed. My question is: Can I use the existing voltage regulator, or do I have to switch it out with a different model . The Alternator that I will be using is the SD-20 rear mount. I am not worried about the paperwork, so no need to go into that matter. Thanks, Ron

Ron when i did my engine on my tcraft and put on a B&C alternator i called B&C they were more then helpfull and went out of there way to make it work out well call them you won't be sorry

The people at B&C are exceptional people. I grew up on a farm near Newton KS, where B&C are located, and the owner is a terrific person. Later, I learned that he had a major hassle from (unfair) treatment by the FAA (in AK, I believe), and he spent many $$ clearing the name of his company. I have had the B&C alternator on my supercub for many years and have had not on lick of problems with it.

Randy

I echo the phone call, you will get your info straight from the folks that make them.

1.5 lbs or something difference between the two...

Big spend for that weight, but to each his own.

Thanks for the input guys. I called B&C yesterday, and they confirmed that it is the same voltage regulator. One is just certified, and the other is experimental.

So, now that i have that figured out, what are your thoughts on oil filters, versus the screen. I know there are pros and cons to each, but it is also very difficult to get at the screen once you have a rear mount alternator installed. They say you can go to 50 hour oil changes with a filter, and while I am not sure I would do that, it must be keeping the oil a lot cleaner to allow that much more time between oil changes. Looking for opinions from guys that have them, and those that don't.

Thanks again. Ron

Are those little 20A alternators now certified too? (STC'd or ?)

Oil filters are a good thing. Make sure you match the filter to the adapter you get. At least one of them has to have a bypass. I use Champion CH4108-1 spinon filters on ECI p/n AEL22772-1 (angled) adapter, AEL2276-008 extension, LW-25-1.75 BOLTS, and AEL12795 and AEL22778 gaskets (see, ECI SI 03-2).

Several airplanes around here have the SD-8, lightweight starter, battery and LED lights. Plenty of juice, lighter, smaller and still easy to get to the oil screen. Food for thought.
I've called B&C several times over the years and never been able to get off the phone in less the 30 minutes. Bill's a great guy to deal with.

Re: filter adapters, I used a Casper Labs adaptor from Stoddards. Much preferred compared to messing with a screen. I always plan to change the filter every 50 hours and the oil every 25 hours or three months. I don't time the filter by the calendar.

Back