• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Atlee Dodge Lift Rings

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
Installed a set of lift rings on my PA18 to facilitate putting on Federal hydraulic skis, and someone told me that I need to fabricate an apparatus which attaches to the rings and prevents damage to the aircraft while it is lifted. Anyone able to share devices that you have come up with for that???

Also, how do I determine if the roof structure of my hangar can support the aircraft, other than the obvious?

I would appreciate any help you might offer.

rsc

I use a pair of small screw type clevises attached to lengths of 5/16 chain. It's a good idea to fabricate some sort of spreader for the chains to eliminate the possibility of bending the Atlee-Dodge brackets. On my -14 about 55lbs. hanging from the prop balances the plane nicely and facilitates float installation.

I use a piece of 2" square steel with a lifting pad welded in the center and eye bolts passing thru the 2" at the width of your lifting eyes on the plane. I put small shackles thru the eye bolts and hook onto the lifting eyes. I have one for a cub and one for a 180, both work fine. If you are interested I could take a picture next time I'm at the hanger and send it to you. Dave

I have two trolleyed chain falls rolling on a steel beam so I can level the airplane for new float installations etc and negates the need for a spreader bar between the lift rings. I also use a walk behind pallet truck for the tail wheel to balance things...but have used weight in various places as mentioned by Cranman.

If you're concerned about load on your rafters...get an 6 x 6 that picks up at least 5 joists (8') and attach the chain fall to it mid span.

Cheers,
Wayne

The advice is good for fabricating a lifting bar, but I'm curious why you would need to lift plane just to put hydraulic skis on?

That is the beauty of hydraulic wheel skis (at least my Federal AWBs) you can slide them in place, and lift them up by hand and attach bolts to gear fittings, no lifting of plane required. If you are changing landing gear than that is another thing and you do need to lift plane or at least use a wing jack.

Back