• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Another true bush pilot is gone

Sgt. Rock

FRIEND
Anchorage, Alaska
Al Fejes, Strelna resident, passed on last Friday due to cancer at age 71.
We said a final goodbye yesterday at the Fort Richardson National Cemetery.
He was the true essence of a bush pilot,making his living in the harsh and unforgiving areas of the great state of Alaska, from flying mail contracts for Cordova Airservice, fish spotting in the spring and summer to hauling hunters for various guides in the fall.
Al was a mechanic for the Airforce overseas in his younger days, moving to Alaska in the early 60's. He polar bear hunted off the northwest coast back in "the day". He loved to hunt, and would be gone every fall working for guides or hunting for his own pleasure. Winters would find him airplane trapping or flying the mail.
He was a great person and if you ever met him, you would not forget him.
Al lived alone but loved to talk when around people.
He flew mainly cubs, 185's, and 206's. He owned several cubs over the years, but for the past 35 years or so has kept the same PA-14-180
I credit him for my love of aviation due to the times in my youth when he would ask me if I would like to ride along.
Al was my uncle, and I will miss him.
Rock

Rock, I am sorry for your loss! Your uncle sounded like an amazing bush pilot, and I'm sure he will be missed by many.

~cubchick

Rock,I am deeply sorry for your loss.Most of my mentors are gone.One of the most special things about flying are the guys i listened to and learned from.Nothing like being a kid and hanging around with the older pilots that had been there,and hearing their stories and opinions on aircraft ,fishing and life in general.I still love flying,but life sure isnt the same when these people go.Sometimes i just go to the strips around and remember them.I try and tell the local kids about them as well,they still live in that way i guess.God Bless Him and your family as well.

pzinck - BE one of those types of people with new/younger pilots. Yes, those type of people are special, and I'm sure we all think of our mentors when on this subject. But we each take our turns in the different rolls. The little ones (like me) need guys like you to be our mentors. I bet you have a lot to share, and that goes for all you out there that have lots of experiences and lessons learned.

"Fejes" has been a household name in aviation for generations.

Notably, Istvan Fejes was a fighter pilot credited with 14 kills during WWI. He survived the war and became chief test pilot for WMM (Hungary) on the CVD (HD.22) project. And Peter Fejes was a member of the 1962 World Aerobatic Championship winning team.

Al is in good company. God Bless.

Back