• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alternator dilema

P51DACE

Covington La.
I attempted to install a new light weight Plane Power alternator from Aircraft Spruce today. My O-320 powered PA-12 has the front mounted oil cooler.

The problem is the new alternator mounting bracket will not work with the oil cooler mounting bracket arrangement. Before anybody says this would be the perfect time to get the rear mounted oil cooler, I bit the BIG $$ bullet and got a new front aluminum cooler from Niagara!

Are there any options to use this alternator other than cutting and welding up a new alternator/oil cooler mounting attachment? I really don't want to do that. Are there any parts I can order to do the installation or is there another light weight alternator option?

Thanks for the help.
David :crazyeyes:

I had a new light weight alternator installed on my 12 last winter. I also have the oil cooler located forward. I'll ask on Monday what the make/model of the alternator is and the part# for the mount assembly.

Have you called Steve at Atlee Dodge? (907) 344-1755. I've seen some alternator mounts they made for similar applications, I don't know if they were officially approved. Sometimes I just don't want to know.

Vickie

FYI---my alternator and mount for my O-320 (PA-12) was PMA'd
(FAA approved) it was big bucks. $800.00 I think

I have had to cut and weld the bracket when I have installed alternators on Pacers, Tri-Pacers and Super Cubs. You don't have to modify the oil cooler bracket on the Inter Av alternator. Trim the baffle and it bolts on. I also don't have any experience with the Plane Power alt.

Seaworthy said:
I had a new light weight alternator installed on my 12 last winter. I also have the oil cooler located forward. I'll ask on Monday what the make/model of the alternator is and the part# for the mount assembly.
Thanks.

Steve Pierce said:
I have had to cut and weld the bracket when I have installed alternators on Pacers, Tri-Pacers and Super Cubs. You don't have to modify the oil cooler bracket on the Inter Av alternator. Trim the baffle and it bolts on. I also don't have any experience with the Plane Power alt.
Steve, I had the Interav alternator on it. I trying to be proactive, spend some money on reliability items such as a new alternator.
The exact problem is the mounting tab/ear on the new alternator, the one thru which the long AN bolt goes thru does not leave enough room to also mount the oil cooler bracket in line with it and have the AN bolt go thru both of them.The Interav alternator tab/ear is only about an inch or two which allows the oil cooler mounting bracket to be in line and the long AN bolt to go thru both of them.
Clear as mud?

Boss mount.

aac_sized.jpg

I will take some pictures of my Pacer next time the cowl is off. It is similar.

Case mount narrow deck.

Image011_2_.jpg

Image012_2_.jpg

I modified the existing mount with gussets and used two bolts to attach. This is the little internally regulated Nip. alternator.

Steve Pierce said:
Boss mount.

aac_sized.jpg

I will take some pictures of my Pacer next time the cowl is off. It is similar.

Steve,
Thanks a million! It looks like I'll be doing some fabricating.
The pictures are terrific. Thanks for the help!
David

Back