• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A Fun Trip...........

cubdrvr

SPONSOR
YKN(mother city of the dakotas)
Early in 1996 I took a smoker into Charlotte, NC, rented a car and drove 20 something miles south to Lancaster, SC.
I met Jim Kirk (not that one) who owns Kirk Air Base (T73) and spent the next 3 mornings getting my float plane rating.
Jim had accommodations ( really nice) in a loft where he let me stay. After we had breakfast we'd power up his supercub
and train his lake my room overlooked. First time on the water for me and I learned a lot while having loads of fun.
Checkride was thorough but a piece of cake (can you say "calm" winds). After the checkride Jim asked if I wanted to take
it up solo......said I was only the 2nd student he offered that to so I was pumped.

Then on those 3 afternoons I would take a short drive SE to Bermuda High Soaring ( www.bermudahighsoaring.com ) where I got my Glider rating. That was
a hoot. Frank & Jayne were super hosts and an interesting couple.....not to mention the talking parrot that would flip upside
down on his perch when you pointed your finger at him and said "bang". Again, a new experience in the aviation world for me.

With two new ratings in my pocket I purchased a '64 Deb in Lancaster and flew home. Haven't piloted a float plane or glider since.

So I was cleaning out some file cabinets, found the logbooks and thought I would share with this crew. I picked up a lot in 3 days and
really had a ball ........might be someone else could entertain doing this.

Kirk Bermuda High.jpg

Attachments

• Kirk Bermuda High.jpg
    Kirk Bermuda High.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 571
Back