• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Reading S24 12 volt battery

supercub1999

Looking at my TCDS and this is listed under electrical, Battery - Reading S24-12V
Is this a TSO or any other approved battery, or just an off the shelf battery?

Thanks

Last edited:
Looking at my TCDS and this is listed under electrical, Battery - Reading S24-12V
Is this a TSO or any other approved battery, or just an off the shelf battery?

Thanks

Any other "approved" Lead Acid battery is legal. Do a search on here and you'll find chapters of information (and "discussion").

MTV

That was the point of the question, I am familiar with 43.13-2B, which is very clear that a battery need not be TSO, but be designed as required by regulation. That must mean designed as the Reading S24-12V that is on the TCDS, I can not track down any information on that battery. I wonder if it was a battery made for airplanes, or if it was like the lightbulbs in the navigation lights or landing lights, hardware items?

Attachments

• IMG_20220905_190030.jpg
    IMG_20220905_190030.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 56
Reading Battery may be the present day East Penn DEKA, which began in Bowers PA in 1946. Reading PA is very close to Bowers PA, just a few miles away.
East Penn DEKA is a very big battery manufacturer, they make all kinds of batteries including darn good AGM batteries for anything you might have. If this is the same manufacturer of my original battery than I would like to keep my plane as original as possible and use the battery from the original PA manufacturer. They make a 400CCA AGM more powerful than Concorde or Gill, is less weight and half the price.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220905-194521_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220905-194521_Chrome.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20220905-192637_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20220905-192637_Opera.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20220905-192624_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20220905-192624_Opera.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20220905-194710_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20220905-194710_Opera.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20220905-192604_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20220905-192604_Opera.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20220905-192802_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220905-192802_Gallery.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 49
Supercub Basis of Certification was CAR3. Here’s what CAR3 says (the regulation).

B ATTERIES
§ 3.682 Batteries. When an item of electrical equipment which is essential to the safe operation of the airplane is installed, the battery required shall have sufficient capacity to supply the electrical power necessary for dependable operation of the connected electrical equipment.
§ 3.683 Protection against acid. If batteries are of such a type that corrosive substance may escape during servicing or flight, means such as a completely enclosed compartment shall be provided to prevent such substances from coming in contact with other parts of the airplane which are essential to safe operation. Batteries shall be accessible for servicing and inspection on the ground.
§ 3.684 Battery vents. The battery container or compartment shall be vented in such manner that gases released by the battery are carried outside the airplane.

Batteries used to have an AN or MIL number when these airplanes got their TC. When the AN number was canceled FAA had to figure out haw they would “certify” batteries. I remember all the way into the ‘80s you could buy “Allstate” aircraft batteries from Sears and Deka aircraft batteries from the local auto parts store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think they had TSOs when those type certificates were approved. Standard auto stuff is used on most Cubs. Mags and carbs are off tractors. We think the famous J3 oil temp/press gauge was Mack Truck.

I am familiar with 43.13-2B, which is very clear that a battery need not be TSO, but be designed as required by regulation.

As Stewart said above, it means the battery must meet the specs in CAR 3. And as you can see Car 3 does NOT specify that the battery even be a lead acid battery.

Web

Thank you for the info, does anyone have a picture or know anything about the original battery, I cannot find any info on the internet about a Reading S24-12V, I am interested in exactly what it was.

My guess is that Reading was a predecessor to or was absorbed by Exide. There's lots of internet info about Exide closing their Reading (PA) plants in the past. S24 is probably just the battery size group. That designation is still used.

I googled Reading battery company and the first result was East Penn, there are a few battry manufacturers in that area though, would be nice to see an original battery to see who actually made it and get back to original equipment instead of these girly pink batteries

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-190952_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220906-190952_Gallery.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 51
Its not Exide, that company has an interesting history starting with Thomas Edison in the 1800s, they were in Reading but bought another company calked General Battery. There is absolutely nothing I can find on a Reading battery company, which is very strange normally a google search can find something, but this comes up with nil, which makes me wonder if Reading only stood for any battery back than, with so many battery companies in Reading PA. I though maybe there would be someone here old enough to remember what the original battery was.

Back