• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa-18 on Wip 2100A’s

Farmboy

Middlebury, VT
Asking for a friend.

How well does a PA-18-180 work on Wip 2100A Amphibs?

Better/worse/different than other combinations or floats?

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

They are the only certified floats, minus 11 sets of edos. They do really well, just flew a pretty stock pa-18-180 and was surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock A model here in BRD with narrow deck 150 and 82/41 Borer. Performs very well here in low altitude land.

150hp_amphib_Cub.jpg

Fall_amphib~0.jpg

They worked great for me. Wish I hadn't sold them given where I live now.

sj

How good is good? Say 2500 msl, just the pilot and full gas and no baggage. How far on the water till ur flying? 300', 600' 900' or ?

Usually you count the seconds rather than the feet on the water. It performed better than any other amphib I have flown, but NOT near as well as the straight floated 180HP or 160HP cubs I have flown. I also had a constant speed prop - prop makes a difference in how long you will be on the water also.

sj

Wow--great vids!!

They are nice floats. And perform reasonably well--all things considered amphib. But, until you fly Scouter's CC on the PK amphibs....

I know seaplaners count takeoff in seconds but I need to know feet so I can figure out if I could still takeoff between rapids in a steelhead river. Would it be accurate to say a cub on Whips' amphibs takes twice the distance of a cub on straight 2000s? Or?

I tried measuring takeoff distance with a gps app on the phone. It said the 12 second takeoff run was about 700 ft. 180 hp PA-18 on Wip 2100 amphibs, 1000 ft elevation. I've gotten from 7 to 15 seconds in that plane, depending on weight, wind and temperature.

That's what I was afraid of. At my home town reservoir, 2500 msl, with a long winged 18 on 2000s with 160 hp it took me about 300'-400' to get airborne. Seems like the Whips are about double thatish. But they are 150 lbs heavier and maybe the wheel wells inhibit the quickness onto the step or something. You can't have it all. Amphibs are the ONLY way to go long distances cross country in my book. And they cost like more than double straights. Never a free lunch.....

No wonder folks say I'm a bull shipper! I just measured my takeoff area on google earth it was more like 500'! But my rule is always try to make a story "better". Maybe Whips are like 50% more distance instead of twice.

So my advice is always look at the book numbers for any plane/stc/mod. Take that as a best day you have every been a pilot guide at sea level with no wind then go from that. Now add in all the factors you can think of and it gives you an ideal of what might happen. The reason I say what might happen is because no one knows how good the pilot skills really are on any day usually including the pilot themselves. No matter what floats you get some days you are just not going to go to the spot you want be it pilot skill/plane capabilities/100 other flying factors.
DENNY

Back