• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 or PA11

nhayse, I rarely differ with mvivion, but what you need to add to your PA-11 is dependent on how you intend to use it.

If you feel the need to land on gravel bars over rocks and logs, then a heavier tailwheel and 26" wheels and tires make sense. You are most certainly degrading the handling, performance, and flying qualities of the airplane by doing this, however. In any size airplane, but particularly light, low-powered airplanes, every gram makes a difference. and big tires add a lot of drag.

If your mission involves flying off existing sod runways and an occasional landing in a pasture or cultivated field, leave the airplane exactly as it is. Too many nice flying airplanes are ruined by installing heavy accoutrements never or rarely used. If you like the way the airplane flies now, leave it alone. I have been flying the same PA-11 in stock configuration for 57 years and it hasn't let me down yet. I have also flown PA-11s modified with a -12 engine with starter, generator, and battery as well as heavy radio equipment and an extra fuel tank. It was a disappointing pig to fly.

I believe the General solid rubber 6' tailwheel tire is the only one available for certified airplanes. You can wear the tread off but the tire but it is still airworthy. Landing on a paved runway grooved for water dipersal wears the tread off very quickly. Ay least they are still available.

one of the first things I did to my 11 was add 26 inch Airstreaks and a 3200 tailwheel. The 3200 is overkill for the 11, but reliability and function in this case count for more.

MTV

I love my 3200 on the 11. I did, however, see one break and fall off once!

Put a T3 on it

Glenn
The T3 tail wheel setup if JUNK!!!!
Buy an ACME stinger, i did. I put the T3 on my 12 did a drop test in the shop a few times took it back off and sold it asap, was on the unfinished plane for a whole hour. POS!!! Sorry i dont powder puff things.

Buy an ACME stinger, i did. I put the T3 on my 12 did a drop test in the shop a few times took it back off and sold it asap, was on the unfinished plane for a whole hour. POS!!! Sorry i dont powder puff things.

Mine has been on for over 600 hrs now. Still love it

Glenn

I don’t think I could agree more with Waldo - except to say that my J3 with Stroker, starter wing tank, and PA-11 struts, seems as agile as it did in 1962 when I bought it, stock, with A-65 and Case mags.

We were having the exact same discussion in the Super Cub hangar last night whilst sipping Torpedoes. “What,exactly, do those cables do?” And - “Why is this thing so Slow?” Questions for an aircraft that is never operated on an unpaved surface of any kind. 160 Super Cub; 400# useful load.

I have had a T-3 on two different cubs, for me it was about ground handling and a T-3 made a vast improvement over stock springs. Intentional drop testing my airplane never occurred to me. I'm talking about my baby here.:lol:

funny, I have been running one for a couple years and love it. Lots of other people do as well. Can't really make that assumption based off unfinished tests and not even taking the time to dial it in. Did you buy yours new or used?

funny, I have been running one for a couple years and love it. Lots of other people do as well. Can't really make that assumption based off unfinished tests and not even taking the time to dial it in. Did you buy yours new or used?
Was a used one, i didnt like the light weight design of the main mounting part.
No im not into drop tests either BUT the ACME AERO will suck it up better than the T3.
Leni, come visit and fly my 12, ull c.

Buying part of someone's life history can be difficult. I been there since 1974 and do recall that PA-11 in the water and docked next to the storage shed. Then it was pulled out and never moved since.

Gary

Craig Macdonald had a nice PA-11 when he lived in Wasilla. I think his all time favorite airplane.

361c1116af1248162173b0d6.jpg

I agree with MTV most of the time ( did I say that out loud) Totally disagree on this one. I've only flown 3 different 12s, 2- 0320 and 1-0235. Great airplanes, got my float rating in one.

Yep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to jump around fields, an 11 is perfect. 12 don't like small fields. especially with no flaps.

Back