• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

122 v’s 149 teeth

redfin

FRIEND
From what I have read, 122 tooth applied to ‘older’ installations and 149 newer ones. Is there any other advantage of one over the other in a 0-320 install?

ie. I now have a common starter with a Scout?

Any disadvantages changing the 122 0-320 to 149 on starter changeover?

122 tooth ring gears were originally used on aircraft with tighter cowling like twins. 149 tooth starters are more common around smaller stuff like Cubs. Other than commonality there is no advantage to one over the other.

Web

From what I have read, 122 tooth applied to ‘older’ installations and 149 newer ones. Is there any other advantage of one over the other in a 0-320 install?

ie. I now have a common starter with a Scout?

Any disadvantages changing the 122 0-320 to 149 on starter changeover?
The teeth on the flywheel must match the teeth on the starter. If you change one, you must change the other.

The diameter of the ring gear is the same, one has a 10/12 tooth pitch, the other is a 12/14 pitch.

I hate when I'm wrong! Lol. But I should be used to it by now.

I've attached an old and a newer page from a Lycoming service instruction that explains some of this.

Web

Attachments

• SI 1121.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
  • SI-Lycoming_n.1121.pdf
    822.9 KB · Views: 95
I changed the RG to the fine pitch to work with the change to a compact starter, they swap on the same flywheel.

Back