• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What do you coat the valve covers with

algonquin

Seldovia,Ak
I have a set of rusty valve covers on a Lycoming. I cleaned the rust off ,just wondering what you guy do to them. Paint, powder coat . POR15, or just put them back on. This is the insides I’m referring to, thanks. The colder it gets the more time to think about this stuff,lol.

If you have rust on the inside of a valve cover I would have to go look at the cam next. I have never seen a corroded cam that didn't have some corrosion on the inside the covers and also some on the rockers...................... I sure hope that isn't an indication of what you might have.

No, I have a couple of sets of valve covers that have been sitting around. One set heavy rust, I just hate to throw them away at 41.00 each. I’m just going to bead blast them and shoot them with hi temp primer and hi temp paint and put them back on the shelf.
In the cold up here the covers can rust even if they engine is run regularly. The cause I’ve seen here is bad rings from pitted cylinder walls , the blow by will cause the covers to be wet when they cool down. The cam will keep itself clean if run fairly regular.this time of year the oil temps remain cool, even when the cooler is blocked off.

I like cad plate. When I overhauled my 0235 I did that - had them cad plated. I had an oil leak right off the bat... it was coming out of the middle of the cover where it said, "Lycoming" turns out one of the pits on the inside went clear to the outside. It didn't leak until it was bead blasted for plating, etc. I still like cad plate but would suggest be careful that rust doesn't go all the way through..

LOL, I am too cheap, hate throwing out parts but sometimes it is what it is, a few are heavy pitted and I don’t think I can savage them. Even if I have them plated I would guess they would still like scruffy on the insides.
Don’t worry it’s going t snow everyday this week so I’ll find another make work project laying around in a bin that will go to the dump eventually. Thanks guys.

Wow, that is really beautiful work! Makes you laugh that stuff is so much better than approved stuff.

Hi Tim, breakfast on me for sure. I appreciate the offer but I have 8 of them and just didn’t want to throw them away. It’s one of those too long of a winter jobs,lol. The worse part is I don’t have a engine for them right now, they are take off’s from jobs. They are pretty ruff on the inside with rust.
If this snow melts off enough that I can land on the lakes with my 150 I’ll meet up with you guys. TTU

Back