• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Beware Parachute Operations at Mineral Canyon, Utah

Quite a while back, I was a freshman student at UT Austin and I responded to an index card on a bulletin board that said "LEARN TO SKYDIVE!!". For $45 I got about 1 1/2 hours of "ground school" from a young woman with an incredible body, a quick ride up to 3000 feet and a static line jump. All before noon. As young and dumb as I was, I could see that every single one of the skydivers I met there had a pathologically reckless personality and that if I continued to mess with them, I'd be dead sooner or later. The jump was fun but I never went back.
Did you get her number????

Everyone all skydive operations are run by Truman Sparks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewsKMu4w66Y

Truman and his operation were based on truth, with very little exaggeration, on some drop zones I've seen in Arizona forty years ago. That's why its particularly hilarious to me.

That sequence from the movie "Fandango" was almost a direct copy of an award-winning short film entitled "Proof" that was made by a couple of film students that were also skydivers.

Jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Nope. And I have a great reason - the mere thought of it makes me start to sweat, my heart beat, etc... Same problem I have on a ladder above about 10 feet, or those crazy Embassy Suites hotel lay outs with the open mezzanine concept.. Most of my non pilot friends don’t believe I’m scared of heights. My wife and I went to Hawaii for a few months right after we were married, we rented a studio apartment in a high rise on Waikiki. The manager said it was the first time he was ever asked if he had something on a lower floor.....

khNaWhN.jpg

Precisely the same thing was true of the pilots Mr. Kelly was speaking to.

You'll never know until you ask. I met a woman like that while skydiving and ended up marrying "up". Way up. Thirty-three years later, she is still out of my league.

On the subject of skydiving and parachutes, 223 years ago today Andre' Jacques Garnerin made the first parachute jump. He exited a balloon (a "perfectly good" one, I might add) 3000 feet over Paris. History doesn't tell us if he interfered with other balloon operations, except for the one he abandoned.

Last edited:
On the subject of skydiving and parachutes, 223 years ago today Andre' Jacques Garnerin made the first parachute jump. He exited a balloon (a "perfectly good" one, I might add) 3000 feet over Paris. History doesn't tell us if he interfered with other balloon operations, except for the one he abandoned.

Waldo was this the first successful one, or just the first one?

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

As far as I know, it was both. Balloons were not as kind to Garnerin; he got killed flying one later on.

Back