• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Side loaded Bushwheel into Caliper Bleeder

Bowie

SPONSOR
West Milford, NJ
IMG_1370.JPG
I spotted this check on one of my bushwheels.
31’s with the heavy tread they’re 15 months old maybe 250 hrs lots of landings majority of them off pavement. Has any one else had this on their BW’s ? Not sure if its an airworthiness issue, seems like it would make for a **** show if it gives up the ghost on landing.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 203
That is the rubber not the structure underneath so I don't see the tire failing but you don't want the layers underneath to be exposed to UV. I would call Bushwheel and get their opinion. Is it splitting or did something cut it? I have filled cuts in the tread with black Shoe Goo.

Not sure if its split or cut although it does look to be more of a split. I’ll reach out to bushwheel and I think I actually have shoe goo somewhere at home. Thanks Steve

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Looks like it could be a cut/gouge from brake caliper. Where are your calipers mounted? If they’re down at the bottom you really have to watch your tire pressure. Even mounting up at 10 or 2 o’clock if you lean it over enough the bleeder Can catch the tire if you’re down at 2 to 3 psi.
DENNY

Looks like it could be a cut/gouge from brake caliper. Where are your calipers mounted? If they’re down at the bottom you really have to watch your tire pressure. Even mounting up at 10 or 2 o’clock if you lean it over enough the bleeder Can catch the tire if you’re down at 2 to 3 psi.
DENNY

IMG_1167.JPG
That could be, I’ll have to take another look and see if the bleeder lines up with the check. Not the best depiction of my caliper location but all I have on my phone as I write this.

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    352.3 KB · Views: 229
View attachment 46423
That could be, I’ll have to take another look and see if the bleeder lines up with the check. Not the best depiction of my caliper location but all I have on my phone as I write this.

Now that I’m thinking about it, I had been practicing rolling out on one main and then switching to rolling out on the opposite main. I have to admit it was ugly before I got good enough to make it look pretty. Good chance I side loaded the tire into the nether regions....

If you want to see how good a side load a Bushwheel will take look at this video at about the 5 minute mark.

I try the one wheel stuff quite a bit also but keep them up around 6-8 psi when I do. My brakes as mounter like yours. Having ASSO gear lets me run a firmer tire.
DENNY

Local did that inside scratch thing with his Cub on soft 3-4 psi 31's. Sidehill or turn probably. I guess the extended bleeder fitting could be replaced with a short plug if that's a problem. How often do the brakes need bleeding?

Gary

On the road trying to post off phone so spelling punctuation and grammar are out the window more than usual��
DENNY

I have seen a break bleeder gouge go all the way around a tire eventually bleeder pops off so you have no break on that side. I don’t fly that hard myself but there are working pilots in Alaska that do.
DENNY

Back