• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Baumann Floats

Bill Rusk

BENEFACTOR
Sandpoint, Idaho
Folks

I received the following Email from Joe at Baumann today.........

To all of my customers, friends and colleagues in the aircraft float industry,

Due to the unfortunate economic conditions we have all faced in the past couple of years, our current owner of Baumann Floats LLC has decided to discontinue production of all of our float models. The equipment, design data, STC’s and inventory will be relocated over to Oshkosh, WI and placed with Basler Turbo Conversions LLC. I personally as well as the rest of my crew will not be moving over to Oshkosh with the company and we will no longer be employed by Baumann Floats LLC. Randy Myers, head of production at Basler Turbo Conversions will be the new interim contact person for any parts orders from April, 1, 2011 on. His telephone contact information is as follows, 920-236-7820 and his e-mail address is myers@baslerturbo.com. I realize that many of you have invested significant amounts of hard earned money into your airplanes by purchasing and equipping your planes with floats from Baumann Floats LLC. It is my sincere hope that there will be continued customer support addressed in a timely fashion for parts and products manufactured by Baumann Floats LLC.

I would like to thank you personally for all of your support and commitment you have given me and Baumann Floats over the past years. Through your patronage we have been able to bring a great aircraft float design to the market and we could not have done it with out your commitment and enthusiasm. I have been extremely fortunate to meet the majority of my customers face to face and have been able to experience some great seaplane flying adventures along the way. I have been truly blessed with the opportunity of providing Baumann Floats to the aviation community and it has been my pleasure to serve you over the past 10 years as General Manager of Baumann Floats LLC.

Thanks again and I hope to see you soon for another flying adventure.

Sincerely,

Joe Birkemeyer

I would like to wish Joe and his crew the very best. They are great folks and I hope they prosper in their future endeavors.

Bill

Sad to hear. I had spoke with Joe Birkemeyer several times about his floats and most recently the LSA amphibs. I hope that Basler can continue with the production.
WW

When I met Joe I liked him immediatly...I bought a set of 1500's a few years ago and became an instant friend....I also look forward to seeing him at Osh each year....I hope he finds a great oppertunity in this....He's a very talented guy and I'm sure he'll land on the sweet spot. Good Guy that Joe. Bummer that this happened.

Truly a sad moment in aviation.........Purchasing my new Baumanns a few seasons ago was one of the happiest days of my life...was looking forward to a new set for a supercub project. My best to Joe, Allen and the whole crew for a job well done.

I got the news a few days ago and to say the least it s*cks, I'm trying to contact the fsdo office for options other than selling my amphibs as my pa-11 is certified andthey haven't got a stc yet, I was in exp market survey last year so any ideas would help (yes Glenn I already thought of that option and that may happen anyway). Hopefully someone will buy the company and resume production, the 1500 amphibs are light weight and perform really well on the smaller horsepower planes,but like any new product there were a few issues that have been overcome. Good luck to Joe, Allen and crew.

Sorry to hear of this. Joe is indeed one of the good guys, and he's made this small company go for a number of years, and through production of a number of great products. The float market is a very small one, and right now there are a number of competitors in that market, which has been good for consumers. Baumann floats have always been a great addition to the market, good performers, light weight and well made.

I wish Joe and his workers all the best. Joe is a real asset to aviation, and I hope he finds another position in this field, and soon.

MTV

Aerocet have anything to do with it? I'd guess yes. I haven't seen anyone unbolting a perfectly good set of EDOs to replace them with Baumanns. I see lots of guys scrapping perfectly good aluminum floats to replace them with Aerocets.

SB

Last edited:
Oh! I'm saddened for Bauman's crew, and also any product owners.

............EDO production going offshore to China and new EDO 2000 pricing lower than the used market of 8 years ago must be considered for affect as much as the Aerocet products' effectiveness.

DAVE

Anybody have any updates on the Baumann situation - is Basler supporting the product? I plumbed my Cub for Baumann amphibs back when I thought I might have money one day. Just curious if I'm back to square one. Thanks.

This isn't an answer to your question. My brother lives close by and his mechanic used to work there. This guy said they had quite a few orders for new floats and didn't understand why the doors were closed.

I had no luck with talking with Basler (Randy Myers) he had Baumann dropped in his plate and it doesn't seem like there is any intrest in the floats, I'm still stumbling my way through a field approval for my 1500A's on my 11, I don't think it will be too bad just trying to jump through the right hoops and getting the info on paper and in the right order. Having a problem with faa.gov site and being able to work on the forms in the computer is the biggest challenge. Hope someone picks up the floats or uses some ideas for the light weight mechanical floats.

It would seem that another company that is working with cub type planes would want floats like these.

I would think that a good builder with sloted wings might want to offer factory floats with their planes... even if the slots don't help on takeoff, they help in manuvering on floats.

(Amy, are you listening?????)

Rumor only.....but heard that the company will restart with Joe at the helm once again with a different owner.

Bill

It would seem that another company that is working with cub type planes would want floats like these.

I would think that a good builder with sloted wings might want to offer factory floats with their planes... even if the slots don't help on takeoff, they help in manuvering on floats.

(Amy, are you listening?????)

George, I am ALWAYS listening ;) (it's a girl thing, kind of like eyes in the back of our heads) Didn't you get a magic shipment of DCA bottle openers? Sorry, we didn't have cookies to ship--the guys are not necessarily culinarily gifted with an oven, but they're great on a grill!

I have heard mumblings in the past months that someone had bought Baumann, but I don't know if it is true or not. I tend to file away airport rumors in a special file labeled "potential BS" ;) Since Baumann was a key supplier to the LSA market, it is my hope that that market will have floats available to them again, whether it is from Baumann or another manufacturer. I never had a chance to meet anyone there but it is always sad to see an aviation company close up shop.

P.S. Floats are on the radar . . . don't know when but we know it is something that customers will want. I'm hoping we can arrange for testing in Key West but I don't think that idea will succeed :roll:

Rumor only.....but heard that the company will restart with Joe at the helm once again with a different owner.

Bill
I talked to Joe a month or so ago....he said someone was looking at the whole set up over at Basler.....but he could not elaborate at the time. Only time will tell. I love my Baumann floats and I hope someone starts it back up....it's a good product. If I remember correctly, Joe had said they were making a profit....but Basler was interested in a bigger margin for their investment. My opinion is they just spent a bunch of $$ on development and did not wait long enough for the fruits of their labor to kick in. I think a lightweight amphib similar to the 1500A in a 2100 for the Supercub may have it's place as well. I suppose it's a tight market either way you look at it.

Amy,

I am in Haines, so will be home Wed. and check for care packages!!! Thanks.

Floats are great, but don't test them in Key west... corrosion, and the high salt content will give you false numbers. Test them in Alaska, where the fishing is good.

Amy,

I am in Haines, so will be home Wed. and check for care packages!!! Thanks.

Floats are great, but don't test them in Key west... corrosion, and the high salt content will give you false numbers. Test them in Alaska, where the fishing is good.

Hope they made it! Will consider AK if you are using some of the recipes found in the recipe thread ;)

Have not heard any new rumorings recently but sounds like it might be more likely since a few have heard similar things?

First, I have salmon spread in my fridge left by folks that were drag racing here this weekend, extremely tasty! Come on over for dinner.

Second: I have heard from many sources that you have a special on the -18, certified flier; $10,000 for a new one flying...

must be true if more than one source says... but does that include the new Dakota-Bauman float?:lol::lol:

I sure hope that these floats find an advocate, they are good for the cub world.

First, I have salmon spread in my fridge left by folks that were drag racing here this weekend, extremely tasty! Come on over for dinner.

Second: I have heard from many sources that you have a special on the -18, certified flier; $10,000 for a new one flying...

must be true if more than one source says... but does that include the new Dakota-Bauman float?:lol::lol:

I sure hope that these floats find an advocate, they are good for the cub world.

You make a good point.....complete rumor at this point. We hope for the best.

Hi from Finland,

Does anybody know, who owns the Baumann inventory and parts nowadays? I need a nose gear hydraulic actuator (made by Bimba) for my Baumann 2750A floats.

Lasse

Basler Turbo Conversions, Randy Myers had it last time I talked to them and Good luck in getting anything from them as they are into converting DC-3"s and they don't seem to want to talk peanuts to us in need.

Hi from Finland,

Does anybody know, who owns the Baumann inventory and parts nowadays? I need a nose gear hydraulic actuator (made by Bimba) for my Baumann 2750A floats.

Lasse

If it came from Bimba.. it's probably a stock item available directly from them. Google Bimba and check part number with them.

http://www.bimba.com/

Hi, I believe the earlier floats had Bimba, the later ones something else. I replaced all four of mine on Joe's recommendation with the newer version on Joe's recommendation just before the factory folded. I can measure them up and look for a model number, or if you are really stuck, at least one of mine will be useable. Note, they are not directly replaceable with the newer versions, and the Bimbas are not repairable (from what I can see). Don

Hi, I believe the earlier floats had Bimba, the later ones something else. I replaced all four of mine on Joe's recommendation with the newer version on Joe's recommendation just before the factory folded. I can measure them up and look for a model number, or if you are really stuck, at least one of mine will be useable. Note, they are not directly replaceable with the newer versions, and the Bimbas are not repairable (from what I can see). Don

Can you check the manufacturer and model numbers of the newer version hydraulic cylinders (both nose and main gear).

Lasse

DSC_3072.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_3072.jpg
    DSC_3072.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 422
Hi, no I can only check the model numbers of the older versions as they are out. The new ones are hidden in the floats. As I mentioned they are not directly interchangeable, so unless you can get the parts from the factory, you will have to stick with the bimbas. I have some used ones that may work.

Anyone know of any news of Baumann floats? I was sure they'd be back in business by now. These new carbon fiber float companies are great but, wow, the prices. Douten? Still hoping for my own 1500As

Chris, last time I contacted Basler (a couple years ago) they were no help so had to build my own tabs for retraction springs. I think someone would have picked them up if the price would have been reasonable, a set was sold in New York ? a couple years ago. Carbon Cub Joe should have bought them ;-) now I think they are legal on a T-craft. If you find a set you better jump on them just hope the 11 will have enough power to get them off the water. Wife still thinks they were too expensive But look at what the price is now of the new carbon floats. Hate to see mine hanging up in my hanger after the summer we have had.

Back