• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bill Rusk on the HDHP TONIGHT!

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Folks, Bill Rusk will be rounding out the year of HDHP's tonight at 7pm Central!

ruskdec.png

Click here to register for the live Zoom presentation: https://bit.ly/2XzcHay

Click here to watch Live on YouTube or after the fact anytime: https://youtu.be/L45SMOjRY9M

You don't want to miss this one!

Attachments

• ruskdec.png
    ruskdec.png
    813.7 KB · Views: 247
Agree with Ted, Bill. Inspiring, instructional, heart-warming...it just doesn't get better than your presentation. Thanks for your kind words, and thanks for all you do to make dreams come true for many of us...even if it may be via us living vicariously through you!

Randy

Great presentation! Thanks for taking the time to show most of us what we're missing...

Great Job, very interesting and inspiring, I’ve missed these on Wednesdays for various reasons, so I’m watching them on YouTube. I’ll have to try harder to attend in person...,

I've found it's better for me to watch on YouTube since I can go back or pause when needed. Last night I came in with only 35 mins left. Watched it to the end and then went back to the beginning. Of course, now someone (SJ) will tell me I can do that with Zoom also!
Lou

Could not make Wednesday night but, did watch it on you tube Thursday morning during our snow event here in New England. Man getting wet twice. Glad it all worked out. Also amazing that the river ate your plane. Chip

We watched it last night and enjoyed it immensely. Thanks, Bill (and SJ)!

A set of Amphibs is definitely in my future.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Excellent Bill. Your combination of humility and experience is appreciated. I especially liked your class G flying tips.

Could you tell us a little more about your little outboard motor? I think you said once that it fits in a float locker, correct? And is it a 4-stroke that will burn 100LL or do you need to bring a separate fuel supply?

Dan

There are two companies that make a light weight outboard. Honda and Suzuki. Both weigh about 30 pds and both are 2.5 hp. Yamaha makes a 2.5 hp but it weighs close to 40 pds. I did not want a trolling motor because of batteries and no way to recharge them. There are some older 2 stroke motors out there that might be good but I did not want to try to find a 50 year old motor then try to rebuild it. Plus you have to mix the fuel.

So......4 stroke is all that is available in the USA now due to regulations.

I prefer the Suzuki because it is water cooled and quieter than the Honda. Also the Suzuki has a manual clutch which allows reving the engine without moving. Sometimes on a cold morning you need to warm up the engine a little to get it going. The Honda has a centrifugal clutch so if you are above idle you are moving forward. You don't always want that. Built in integral fuel tank so you do not have that to mess with.
I will use car gas when I can but I have used a LOT of 100LL and it seems to do just fine with that. No kidding I bet I have spent 1000 hours in front of this little motor. It gets used just about every day and often a couple of hours worth. Starts on the first pull most every time. Love it. It has totally changed the trips, allowing us to get around on a lake we could NEVER do trying to row.

I would not encourage using a larger motor. You can lift 40 or 50 pounds pretty easy until you extend your arms to put it in the airplane. Then 50 pounds gets SUPER heavy unless you are a weight lifter. Now try lifting it over the back seat, standing on a float, without damaging the seat or headliner. Even 30 pounds is a bit of a challenge.

It will not fit in the float compartment. It will go in the baggage door if you are really careful, and of course over the back seat.

It is/was a game changer. I would not do the cabins without it. The short shaft works fine. No need for the long shaft (which would just make it harder to load too). Generally runs about 850 dollars....on line. LOVE IT!!!!!

Bill

Bill,
Make a removable outboard motor bracket for the aft end of one float. Then you don't have to depend upon finding a boat to use. The airplane moves easily with an outboard. I used a 5 hp Tohatsu on the 185. Way more than what was needed.

Back