• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tools, jigs, fixtures, and other neat stuff

Mike, since you're big into making stuff, how would make a lower lip for a cowl. I'v tried a couple ways and can't get it right. I have a small lip on it now but need to make a bigger one, or buy one (2+2)

Mike, since you're big into making stuff, how would make a lower lip for a cowl. I'v tried a couple ways and can't get it right. I have a small lip on it now but need to make a bigger one, or buy one (2+2)

Timmy I could help you with a fatter lip next time I see you.

Glenn

Tim, This is how I do it using 2024T3. I make a posterboard pattern, draw a line around the perimeter where the lip will attach, drill holes every so far and snip so the whole thing can bend around and then bend the little tabs you have made so that it will fit the lower cowl.
Image004 (Medium).jpg

100_0286.JPG

Attachments

• Image004 (Medium).jpg
    Image004 (Medium).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 100_0286.JPG
    100_0286.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,056
Steve, you realize that Timmy is now texting Tom. Goes something like this. Tom, Pierce had a good idea, as long as your already there can you........................................

Glenn

Steve, you realize that Timmy is now texting Tom. Goes something like this. Tom, Pierce had a good idea, as long as your already there can you........................................

Glenn

I think your right Glenn. I heard his phone dinging but 4 o'clock hit and he is out the door to go fly.

I don't have friends like that.
348303e7c287fa24afaaf9a0ed80c48e.jpg

I had seen these in the spruce catalog and ordered a few to try last year, and just got a chance to use them...

I will definitely be placing an order for more...

especially the threaded ones so you can put a nut & maybe washers on it in a larger diameter hole!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/rivnuts3.php?clickkey=166861
backmarkers.jpg

Used to locate pre-drilled holes in the wing ribs, fuel tank covers, panels, skin. Pre-drill the ribs, screw in the back markers, lay the skin sheet over the top, tap with hammer, turn the sheet over, and drill the holes. This is especially useful for rivnut installation.Due to the large size of the hole required, small errors in location can lead to the "Oh darn, I missed the rib syndrome". Backmarkers save you hours of frustration. 2 sizes of threaded backmarkers are available. We recommend using the 04-00131 for wing ribs. Drilling the wing ribs with a 3/32" drill. Drop in the back markers.

Mark the skin by taping with a soft hammer. Turn the skin over and drill the skin with a 3/32" drill. Cleco the skin into position enlarge the holes with #30 drill & cleco. Now you are ready to rivet.

*THESE BACKMARKERS ARE RIBBED (THREADED). OTHERS ARE PLAIN.

I needed a clamp to hold a cable so I could install a Nicopress. The available cable vises are very expensive and you need four hands to get everything aligned while holding the whole thing steady without the vise, so I made this out of some scrap 1/2" square tube brazed to a piece of 14 gauge strap, a 3/8" hardware store bolt and nut.

IMAG0282[1].jpg IMAG0284[1].jpg IMAG0285[1].jpg IMAG0287[1].jpg

I used a chisel to form a small indent on the inside flat of the square tube to hold the cable. The bolt has a slight hollow in the end from the thread forming process. I only tighten it finger tight and it has seemed adequate to hold everything together while squeezing the clamp. The vise is a 2" Wilton.

There is a bit of room to put a tab or link in the eye also.

Wayne

Attachments

• IMAG0282[1].jpg
    IMAG0282[1].jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 831
  • IMAG0284[1].jpg
    IMAG0284[1].jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 636
  • IMAG0285[1].jpg
    IMAG0285[1].jpg
    874 KB · Views: 732
  • IMAG0287[1].jpg