• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Titan Purchase option

WWhunter

FRIEND
Near the Headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi Rive
[FONT=&quot]Anyone know the best pricing one can obtain on a new Titan 340? This is for a replacement engine on an 90% built aircraft. I've gotten a quote from Continental, but was wondering if there is anyplace that might give a better price. I understand that delivery might be 8+ months and am not in any particular hurry since I have another plane to fly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks![/FONT]

Just be forewarned that wait time might be optimistic.

I waited 23 months for my Titan 340 (delivered last year) even though I was told 6 months at time at purchase.

Another option is Aerosport power out of Canada. I went up there for my IO-375, but looking at their website they also do a 340. My lead time when I sent my deposit was quoted at 12 months, but they ended up receiving all the parts sooner than expected so I got my engine three months early.

+1 Aerosport

(not my airplane, but a prolific local has more trouble free hours flying to and from Colorado to AK than most will ever have)

I had contacted Aerosport many months ago. Their quote was considerably higher than the quote I received from Continental. The main reason I am searching is, I hope this to be my last plane (yeah right!!) and would like to have a new engine at least once before I go to the grave.

This plane currently has a narrow deck O-320 that was supposedly overhauled, but I can not find any paperwork on it in the box of papers that I got with the plane. I was sure I had seen them when I purchased it, even though I knew it had been siting a few years without being run. Unfortunately the guy the did all the work passed away and any further inquires are fruitless.

This engine is set up nicely with B&C Rear mounted alternator, B&C Starter, Pmags with auto spark plugs, new carb, custom exhaust, etc. which makes it look like it was done correctly. I really want more HP so have purchased the higher compression pistons. After getting prices on everything needed to bump it to 160+ HP, my thinking was that I would rather invest more, for a complete new engine. I can sell this stuff and recoup some of my expenditures making a new engine not as out of reach.

Trying to keep the plane as light as possible is the reason for the O-340, otherwise I had considered an O-360/370.

Although expensive and slow to deliver, the Titan O340 exceeded my expectations.

Mine is low-compression, standard EMags, and carb'd - a very vanilla build similar to the early Carbon Cub installations however without the mag sump. It is significantly lighter than the O235 it replaced, hand props every time on the first pull, and makes twice the horsepower swinging a big Catto. I suspect you would be very pleased with one.

Colorado-Cub, yes sir, I think that is why I am leaning that way. Having spoken to Rick Papp (member here) and a neighbor that just completed and is flying his Javron Cub, both have expressed very high regard for the basic O-340. The build on this particular already is a little on the heavy side, so any reduction of weight will be great.

I believe Jay at javron can get you one of those 340s but they are a very far ways out. I ordered mine in 2021 january, 2 months ago I cancelled my order. If they tell you a wait time of less than 12 months, it just isnt happening unless a lot of people cancel.

Pardon my ignorance, Is this engine being built new by Continental? Or is it being built by a small subsidiary? Isn't this a modified copy of an out of production low volume Lycoming engine? If this is Continental...how much longer will they be in business? I bought a new engine from Continental 20 years ago which only took a few weeks to show up.....and it was custom built to order.

Continental is making brand new lycomings, experimental and certified. Under ECI and Titan and the new Prime label. Im sure there books have to be a mess because if you are not able to deliver engines and everybody is canceling orders the profit must be gone. Lycoming is still making the same engines. Superior quit making their copy of the lycomings to my knowledge.

My quote went from 27k in 2021 to 37k bare bones in 2023, and then they said it will likely be higher by the time I got it. They did not offer a locked in price for me. I would not order anything from them unless it was in stock. Just my opinion. It is now cheaper for me to build a hot 320/360 out of parts. The whole engine ordering thing is a total complete joke now days.

I ordered my Titan o-370 in mid July and I'm expecting to get it late this month or early March. That's like 7 or 8 months. Of course, I don't have it yet but that's what I'm being told. It was much longer lead time not that long ago. I ordered straight from Titan. Yeah, the price is very high.

Wayne

Same here, my parts list is running around 26k with mags and carb, no starter or alternator factored in. Thats using a discounted crank and new superior cylinders. Also discounted rods and a new crankcase.

I ordered my Titan o-370 in mid July and I'm expecting to get it late this month or early March. That's like 7 or 8 months. Of course, I don't have it yet but that's what I'm being told. It was much longer lead time not that long ago. I ordered straight from Titan. Yeah, the price is very high.

Wayne

That is interesting. I ordered an O-370 direct from Titan in January of 2023 and I’m not expecting it this month or next. I was told 14-18 months.

Titan 340 on barnstormers today, engine coming and he sold the kit.

I actually contacted the seller over a month ago. The engine is injected, and I need carbureted unless I want to go through more building modifications. Only advantage is it is available now, but I'm thinking his price is a bit steep also (he was previously asking over $50K).

I actually contacted the seller over a month ago. The engine is injected, and I need carbureted unless I want to go through more building modifications. Only advantage is it is available now, but I'm thinking his price is a bit steep also (he was previously asking over $50K).
How many building modifications do you think you would need? Just add a boost pump and you could eliminate carb heat. I like my fuel injection, for one reason is that it uses 2 gph less than I've ever managed with a carb.

How many building modifications do you think you would need? Just add a boost pump and you could eliminate carb heat. I like my fuel injection, for one reason is that it uses 2 gph less than I've ever managed with a carb.
Maybe I am mistaken, but doesn't the injected motor require a return line? Everything on the plane is closed up and not saying it's impossible, I really don't want to plumb in a return line.

...or why not simply pull the spider, swap primers for the injectors, bolt on MA4-5 carb and go fly?

Maybe I am missing something.

Maybe I am mistaken, but doesn't the injected motor require a return line? Everything on the plane is closed up and not saying it's impossible, I really don't want to plumb in a return line.
Depends on the engine/injection system. I have the Airflow Performance mechanical injection system on a Titan. Return line is optional so I don’t have one.

The Lycoming (originally) Bendix fuel injection system does not have a feed back fuel line. The Continental type system does. The only extra thing you would want would be a fuel pressure instrument. If you are using one of the new "all in one" instruments, I believe that is one of the available functions in which case...just a couple of wires through the firewall.

I'll add, if you use electronic ignition there will be no start up and shut down engine shaking with a very smooth idle.
Also on a very hot day the engine may have a rough idle which is cured by turning on the aux fuel pump.

Thanks everyone for the help! I'm learning something new everyday.

In my reference to needing to put in a return line, it was for the engine listed on BS. I was under the assumption that it needed a return line or header tank. This how how the RANS S-21 is configured from what I recall when looking at them. After looking at my reply from the seller again, I remembered why I passed on the engine, it's a dynafocal mount and I have a conical.

I did not know that the Airflow Performance didn't require a return, and that it was optional. I will look into that some more. I am not sure (inquiry sent) on the SilverHawk, which is on the BS listed engine.

I am definitely going with electronic ignition!

Last edited:
My electric boost pump is mounted in series between the fuel selector and the firewall. You could mount it in the engine compartment. If so, it ought to have a cooling air blast tube to prevent any possibility of generating vapor lock. You will see this feature on certified airplanes. The boost pump has a built in bypass for the free flow of the fuel when the pump is not running.

I had contacted Aerosport many months ago. Their quote was considerably higher than the quote I received from Continental.
WW;

Was the quote in Canadian dollars or real money? Sorry Canadian folks, I couldn't resist.

But seriously, if the price was expressed in dollars Canadian, their figure would appear to be much higher than a comparable US figure but wouldn't actually be any higher. Looking at the interweb right now, a Canadian dollar is worth .74 cents US, so you could see where that might add up. In the most general terms, a price in Canadian dollars that is 133% higher than that in US dollars is approximately equal.

Please don't take offense to my mentioning what seem to be an obvious point. I realize not everyone has experience with this sort of thing and it may not cross your mind. I did not mean to insult.

Back