• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

high oil temperature at bannertow

wacodriver

Rastede, Germany
This is the first season, I use the SC for banner-tow. On a rather warm day (80°F) I had to drop the 28 character banner (7ft) after half an hour, when the oil temp rose beyond the 235°F line. After cutting down to 22 characters, the temp was rather stable at 240°F on a 70°F day.
My Cub is a stock 150 hp SC with a Sensenich 74/56 in front and the front mounted cooler. Oil is exxon 20W50. Summertime will be warmer, so I would have to cut down the banners even more. Any experience or suggestions how to solve that problem ?

The banner company I flew for a long time ago had 2 oil coolers, one at the stock location and the other hanging below the cowling on a stout bracket made of 1 inch square tubing( hung into the slip stream) worked well.

you gotta have a second oil cooler (mounted on wheel braces works well ) and a borer prop or similar

On an 80* day the 180 cub I am towing with bearly gets to temp. It is uncowled (has the banner presuure cowl) and a large oil cooler. For a tow plane I think this set up is probably tough to beat. It will do this with as many 7' charechters as you can fly or even large billboards.
Agreed on the Borer, I think two coolers would be a must without uncowling it. There is a cooling lip mod to get more airflowing as well.

Take care, Rob

I would at least check the condition of the oil filter adapter and vernatherm. I had to replace on when because the seat just plain wears out and can't seal.

Buy a Top Cub from Cub Crafters. You couldn't overheat one of those things on a 200 degree day with TWO banners behind.

MTV

Thanks for your statements. Today I calibrated the temp probe with boiling water. Gave me 10° more to the red line. I filled up the oil tank to 2 gallons and intend to put two baffles on the left and right side of the oil cooler.
Hope that will be enough, next could be the additional oil cooler. The Cub Crafter solution won't be my choice. I hope to make some money rather than go bankrupt.

Now I don't tow but I have 2 oil coolers and my problem is just the opposite.

(77 PA18-150 with the standard cooler plus one that was added and is installed on the front baffle just below the left cooling O in the cowl.)

I don't get to a warm 160 degree temperature on an 80 degree day unless I have the cooler plug covering the primary. You know that little $40 piece of aluminum with the words stenciled on it "remove for flight above 40 F"

Kirby

Seal around the air filter also to keep ram air from going around the airbox and disturbing the air exiting the cowl. Have seen a leather seal make a big difference.

An ogee is a curved semi-parabolic shape similar to the overflow crests used on some dams. It is used to accelerate flow around previously 'sharp' edges and nearly right angles. It's rougly equivilent to using a 30% larger outlet opening. mounts on the firewall at the edge of the cooling opening.

Back