• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Good fly out Silver fishing??

beavercub

Alaska
Family wants to go fishing for Silvers.
Little kids and crowds don't seem to mix..
anyone have any good fly out spots they are willing to share?
Any good Ideas, weather and distance sometimes hinder the famliy trip, as with the little girls, safety is key, lately!
Thanks and looking forward to your ideas!

IMO the best way to fish with the kids is to catch a charter, a boat keeps them corralled in, away from flying hooks, slippery rocks, and uneven banks. Valdez ought to be close to their silver run, or fly to Seward, both have excellent prices on day charters.

Check the ADF&G webpage for updates.

tedd

Hmmmm....where do I start to reply!
LOL
Umm..thanks, but a charter boat? not my cup of tea.
Uneven ground? slippery rocks!??
Isn't that what being a kid is all about???
Who wants to fish all day? on a small boat or even a big one, and be crowded, have someone else catch 'your' limit...
watch out for hooks!??? you bet! those boats are where it will happe...not on a bank, with just me and the kids...and when you want to just sit and visit...or take a nap on the bank? boats? No thanks! If I wanted a boat ride, I would have bought one! Not a plane! LOL
No disrespect, just not the answer we were looking for...Florida is great! and when we visit Disney World, we try the boat!
Just was looking for some other places, and input, as to a place to FLY to...land and fish...maybe cook our catch at the river bank...maybe even spend the night. Enjoy the scenery, and spend time with my family...not everyone elses.
You kn ow, all the things we Alaskans bought airplanes for in the forst place!??
LOL

Thank you!
:D

Fly past Tyonek to the mouth of the MC Arthur River head up steam look for the clear creeks that flow into it.

Silvers were in 5 days ago and a few good places to land C-185 size planes.

Jerry Jacques

beavercub said:
Hmmmm....where do I start to reply!
LOL
Umm..thanks, but a charter boat? not my cup of tea.
Uneven ground? slippery rocks!??
Isn't that what being a kid is all about???

My thoughts exactly.

Jerry

Kodiak. Any stream. Great fishing, great fish, beautiful country.

Can't be afraid of flying across some open water, though, and Shelikof Strait is some of the ultimate open water.

MTV

Kustatan down across from Kenai. The pond there is full.
Fish around the high tide when the stream backs up. Eggs on a hook is all you need.

On wheels (Bushwheels)
Lived on Kodaik for years, and know where to go there, but to far this time, and weather, did I mention the weather?
LOL
but new to the MatSu.
Thanks for all the Kustatan advice, but want a little different experience than the 'Russian River West' scenario...looked at it the other day, and I thought it was another village there, with a busy airport!
People were standing in mud, another strip had an airplane parked right in the middle so no one else could land...boats everywhere...not sure of what or where to even approach!
Certainly don't mind other folks, as that is what sharing is all about! We love to share...just sometimes, one wants a little more wilderness in their experience...not things like the angry guy we saw, who mad and cussing up a storm about the garbage being left on the bank...or the other angry guy that was mad at the other guy for cussing! or even the angry guy who was mad because the minute he stepped out of the hole someone stepped in...etc...etc... and these were all fellow airplane guys, not the usual road crowd!

You can try heading up the Yentna to the confluence of the Skwenta, there's an airstrip there with a station. There's a late silver run up that way that will get you out of the MatSu Crowd with boats. Anywhere up near lake creek will be hitting right now, but finding a place near the Yentna to land a 180 might be hard to find.

Tedd

Back