• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fabric/paint question

teeweed

GONE WEST
Hempstead, Texas
Can a fuselage on a pa-18 be resprayed. Fabric on the fuselage is tired but has years of life left in it, guy wants to make it match the newer looking wings and tail feathers. I can see problems with the N numbers trying to take them off or masking them. thanks teeweed

teeweed, what covering/coatings process? They all have different specs and requirements.

In some case can be done, but rarely a very good result.

Thanks. cubscout

Fabric / paint question

it can absolutly be repainted which ever system you have on it . I would certainly use the same system that is on it now .The result and the extra weight depends on the prep work done before you pick up the spray gun

My topcoat is acrylic enamel. Absolutely beautiful, and cannot be top-coated. Dope can always be topcoated, as can the various catalyzed finishes.

fabric /paint question

now why in the world would you say acrylic enamel can not be top coated? its auto paint its done millions of times a day in the auto repaint buisness[could possibly be a slight exaggeration] and it is more than likely catylized acrylic enamel but even if they didnt put the catylist in it it can still be topcoated there is a critical period between repaints if it isnt catylized but its like 72 hours or so not months or years not that you would want to add the extra coating build up but it could certainly be done if someone chose to do so it would of course need a complete sanding with #400 grit sandpaper every ford and dodge car and truck and gm pickup made from the late 60s to into the 90s used acrylic enamel paint and a whole bunch of them needed some sort of repaint somewhere along the line

teeweed said:
Can a fuselage on a pa-18 be resprayed. Fabric on the fuselage is tired but has years of life left in it, guy wants to make it match the newer looking wings and tail feathers. I can see problems with the N numbers trying to take them off or masking them. thanks teeweed
Sure it can. Instead of masking off the existing N numbers, it might be easier to spray new ones so the paint edges don't build up. Knock everything down and smooth it out with 320/400 wet sand paper, then shoot the new paint. Net weight gain should be less than 3-4 pounds.

nkh

From experience I bet it will look just as bad in 2-3 years.

Nathan, We rejuvenated a Stearman rudder, sanded and shot yellow on it. I could always see the old N numbers. I ended up spraying silver on it and sanding several more times but I could still see it. I don't think anyone else notices because the new numbers are over the old nes. Do you have any tricks?

Steve, not really but if possible I try to shoot a white base. It helps cover old numbers, though they will still show through a little. The problem is not coverage but fill; there are 3 extra coats of paint for the markings, which fills the weave more, giving it a smoother/shinier finish. The only way around that is to blow a lot of silver over the number and sand it back off; trying to fill the weave around the numbers. But that's a lot of work, especially if you're only trying to add 4-5 years before re-cover. :-?

I'm always looking for a better way though.

nkh

Steve - me too. On fabric, there just doesn't seem to be any way to completely get rid of those tape lines.

Jay - I have been using acrylic enamel for years, and I love the stuff. Dries quickly, compounds like lacquer, and lasts a very long time. Doesn't seem to crack any worse than dope. And older formulations could be top-coated.

It has gone from six bucks a gallon for Rangoon Red to $400. It no longer keeps in the can. It cannot be repaired using dope products. It no longer can be top-coated unless catalyzed. My Cub has had its latest finish since 1980, and still looks great. But here and there I need to do repairs, and it is always a difficult job. I have to use Alkyd Enamel, carefully mixed, to even begin to match my beautiful finish.

From now on, for me, it will be dope. Randolph was the easiest to use, but now you cannot simply order it - it has to be custom mixed to match the old colors. But it will compound, and will shine as good as the acrylic. And the top coats are quite a bit less expensive.

We re-shot our Scub 12 years ago with acrylic just to give it a cosmetic paint job. We figured it would last 5 or 6 years and then we would re-do the whole airplane all new again. We still haven't got to it and other than some paint cracking here and there (which we expected) it still looks real good. Always hangared too. :angel:

Back