• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How much fabric do I need?

Marty57

PATRON
Nipomo, Ca
Well, it's time to start the covering process. My wings are done, ready for cover. Flaps, ailerons, and tail feathers also ready to cover. I'm attending the Stewarts seminar in Las Vegas next week and I'm bringing along parts to cover while I'm there. So here's the question: How much fabric do I need? First, flaps (standard SC dimensions) and ailerons (also standard SC dimensions)? Next question is tail feathers. SC rudder and all horizontal surfaces; any idea how much I need? The wings will be next than the fuselage (PA 14/2+2). I know some one out there knows this off the top of their head so thanks in advance.

Marty57

Finished wings:

both wings done.jpg

Attachments

• both wings done.jpg
    both wings done.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 185
I like 6 yds for each wing surface; 24 yds for the wings and if careful can use some for your flaps and ailerons; better too much; buy extra. Never done a 14 fuselage; done some 12's. Depends on whether you need 3 (probably 4) pieces for the fuselage. Have fun; I get a lot of satisfaction from covering. Reid

Marty, that's great news! Give Stewarts a call; they'll be able to tell you. I ordered what they suggested and had a little bit left over, but I don't recall the amount offhand.

The cloth is the cheapest part. It's the stuff that comes in cans that you have to mortgage the house for.

whole plane -18 they say 45 yrds

be aware! I used superflite fabric on a job, 2 supposedly "25" yard rolls and came up SHORT and didn't even do tail feathers!! so their rolls must be short!!! compared to coconut, I usually have leftovers and had done tail feathers....

Almost seems a shame to cover that incredible wood work with fabric so you can't see it. I've enjoyed the build photos.

Jim

Back