• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna tail logo

Dave Calkins

Anchorage, Alaska
Yep, off topic again :-? Long post, so please bear with me. I'll take any help or opinions on this one>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm assembling a 1953 180 Cessna.

Someone has in his or her mind the answer to a trivial question I have.

On the tail of the 180 will be a logo not unlike this one:

click the thumbnail for a larger version please.

The trivial question is coming soon, but some background first.

I have the original, unrefurbished vertical fin from this '53. On it's lefthand side is a faint 'imprint' of the logo and N number from back when the airplane was polished with one trim color. A logo like the one in the photo. The logo on this original fin's LEFT side has the little stylized jet thingy flying toward the aft end of the airplane, NOT toward the front like in the photo I provided. On the Right side of the original fin, there is no original imprint left over.

The Question: Did Cessna only have one style of decal or paint mask in '53 for this logo? Did the 'bird' or stylized 'jet' on the logo always fly from left to right like one would read the 'Cessna' name and '180' in the logo?

Final question: Would the 'bird' fly FORWARD on the right side of the fin, like in the photo?

I figure most people would expect to see the bird fly toward the front of the airplane on both left and right sides, but I saw with my own eyes the old imprint of the backward flying bird on the left side of the original fin.

I've got about a week before I pull the trigger on installing a decal, so I could use the help now.

Thanks, DAVE

Dave, i have a 53 180 brochure i will scan and post it if it will help.I will try to look and see if it may help. Edit,check my photo gallery.I scanned all of the decent images of the tail in this 53 brochure,i hope this helps.

wow what a coincidence,llok at the n number in the pic you posted and the n number in the brochure.1 number difference.n2801a in the brochure (check the left side tail scan) N2802a in you pic. I wonder what the serial number is on these planes? I wonder if the brochure pic is serial number 1 and the pic you have is serial number 2

Good call Pzinck,

N2801A isn't a 180 by FAA records (currently, a Raven balloon has that reg). Must have been dropped at some point in the past, but N2802A is S/N 30002, a 1953 180.

Bill

Dave - i had a "54" with the orignial "jet thingy" and both were
flyin forward - not sure on the "53"
pzink - how are things in ME - how much ice on the lakes

Guys, thanks alot. I'm confident I have the answer I need to get this marking correct.

Background on the early serial numbers: It's been said that the first 2 180's have been destroyed. Whether accident or purposely, I don't know.

Apparently the one in the photo I provided is now the oldest 180. The scheme is very close to correct for the original '53 scheme, but a little bit off in some of the stripe widths, shape of the nose 'swoops', size of the logos, and placement of the '180' marking on the boot cowl. No matter, still a great looking airplane! The owners were kind enough to take time to photograph it at my request to help me with marking placement on the project I've got going. They warned me that the shceme was close, but not exactly correct. They have the Cessna prints that show the exact scheme layout. He was even willing to allow me to 'rent' them, but the decision was made to go ahead by 'eye' rather than wait for drawings. As it is, I started up this project with the painting half-way finished, so I've had quite a bit of going backwards to be able to go forward (fixing stuff I couldn't live with, and making decisions on what I CAN live with). So, obtaining the original factory scheme drawings seemed unnecessary.

I've just about got the painting finished. The red on the fin and rudder, N number and Cessna logo, and painting a few fairings is all the paint left to do.

Thanks again for your help. DAVE

Keel, thigs are fairly well.The ice has been terrible here with all of the warmer weather.A few trucks have gone thru nd a guy died few weeks back.Never seen a winter this warm with lack of snow.How is that 180 going?

Back