• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Which Side is the right side or is it left?????

Sam Beckett

Hometown USA!
Okay J-3 Guru's I have a friend rebuilding a L-4, he is building it pretty stock airplane as it was originally built as an L-4!
The other day we were hangar flying as he was rebuilding his wing.
The topic of a wing tank came up..I strongly suggested it, he agreed.
So I thought the best wing would be the left, he thought the right..
Which brings up the question...
" Which side is the right side or is it the left? "
Then ya gotta wonder what size tank and where would he pick one up?

Thanks Y'All!

Sam

8)

If I was going to put in a wing tank I'd put it in the left wing. Plumb straight to the fuel valve instead of having to go around behind the door and the baggage compartment. What does the STC say for the wing tank installation?

Steve,
Yea I also thought the left because of propeller p factor and torque even though minimal still there for trip compensation.
What does the STC say??? What STC????

Sam

Doesn't someone have an STC to put a wing tank in a J-3? If not what are you going to do about approval?

Sam,

Installing in the left wing and routing the fuel line down the diagonal channel at the rear edge of the windshield to the main tank sump drain is the easiest installation. Work extra hard to try not to have the fuel line go "up hill" when the plane is level.

The left wing will always be heavy with fuel in the tank. If your friend plans to use the tank a lot, he could decrease the washout on the left wing (or increse on the right) slightly to compensate for the wingheavyness.

There are several sources for J3 aux wing tanks. I think the best quality comes from Ross Carbiener, Classic Aircraft Services, Inc. www.cubtanks.com These tanks were formally built by Clarence Witt, Air Energy.

PA12 replacement tanks will be certified soon.

Good luck to your friend.

John Scott

PS Your friend is going to correctly install the mag switch in the right wing root, isn't he?

I have a Witte tank in the right wing. It is plumbed down the windshield to the outlet of the main tank, just above that aux drain they made us put in so many years ago. Works great. Feeds faster than the engine burns, and final drops are available on descent. Requires a little pitot on the non-venting cap. STC is written broadly enough to allow just about anything. Only restrictions are the mechanical mounting of the tank.

Full, it requires slight aileron pressure. Not enough to be troublesome.

So I guess you are actually filling the nose tank? Do you have a line in the front and the rear? My Clipper had an 18 gallon left wing tank and a 12 gallon nose tank but they were plumbed with a fuel selector valve and were independent. Are there any other STCs besides Clarence's?

Wasnt a wing tank original equipment from Piper on the L-4? And if it was would this be on the equipment list and preclude the need for additional paperwork?

Stoddard tanks aren't the best idea. I got four I'd sell real cheap, but I'd recommend aluminum ones.

Cub junkie said:
Wasnt a wing tank original equipment from Piper on the L-4? And if it was would this be on the equipment list and preclude the need for additional paperwork?

L-4's were not equipped with a wing tank, only the 12 gallon tank in the nose. All wing tanks in J3's are aftermarket tanks put in with STC or 337.

John Scott

Steve Pierce said:
So I guess you are actually filling the nose tank? Do you have a line in the front and the rear? My Clipper had an 18 gallon left wing tank and a 12 gallon nose tank but they were plumbed with a fuel selector valve and were independent. Are there any other STCs besides Clarence's?

Steve-

You are correct, it fills the nose tank. There is a valve in the wing root next to the magneto switch in this particular install, and the tank is plumbed into the nose tank by the fuel drain. One line, I think the AES tanks have fore and aft drains though.

Tim

WagAero sure doesn't seem to be anybody's favorite supplier here, but looking thru their catalog I see they list several different wing tanks for J3's.Either 8 or 11.5 gallon, RH/LH,for wood spar or aluminum,and with/without provision for wing-root gauge. $430 > $500 a pop.

Rooster

Brian..........
Do they have aluminum replacements for the old Stoddard galvanized tanks? I wouldn't recommend the originals.

cubdrvr said:
Brian..........
Do they have aluminum replacements for the old Stoddard galvanized tanks? I wouldn't recommend the originals.

Sorry Dave-- Never cought this thread till today.
Not that I know of, but I remember reading on here somewhere that someone had a set of aluminum ones magically appear in their airplane in place of the steel ones. 8)

Back