• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing dismantling

Billy-250

Andover UK
I have to take the wings apart for rib repairs and replacement. The spars may need changing too.
Before picking up spanner and screwdriver any advice on useful measurements to take, order of taking things apart, and any other tips appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

put a BIG tape measure on top of wings, take LOTS of pictures, including where you put end of tape measure.... move tape and repeat... then repeat, repeat

And then give thanks that you actually have a working model to go from verses a stack of diagrams and no aeronautical experience. :) You will find a wealth of information and pictures on here and also check bugs site http://www.supercubproject.com/ for pa-18 diagrams. May or my not apply to your aircraft. Also please consider adding your experiences and pictures to the knowledge base. "Q"

Last edited:
For sure Q, I wanted to take advantage of them in their assembled state, before I come to putting them back together and thinking - If only I had...

All good points. Lots of pics. Take notes on critical measurements like rib placements. Do one wing at a time, so you can have another example to view.

All good points. Lots of pics. Take notes on critical measurements like rib placements. Do one wing at a time, so you can have another example to view.

do both wings at ONCE....

unless you really want to not be productive at every single step of the project!! getting tools out, doing tasks.....

do both wings at ONCE....

unless you really want to not be productive at every single step of the project!! getting tools out, doing tasks.....

Mike, that makes sence to me for someone who's done it and does it for a living. And I agree that there is much time to save, ie paint coat all the steel parts together. But, I pulled both wings apart together and built one wing at a time. I built my first wing at pierces seminar in Texas. I can't tell you how many times, I'd wander across the hanger to a set of built, but uncovered wings to see how something was done. For a first timer, I still think it might be better to have a finished, albeit old example of how the wing goes together. This is my opinion only.

Second wing was MUCH easier, cause I'd done it.

Cheers

Label the ribs with aluminum tags with #1 through whatever starting at the root end. Etch the numbers into the tags and wire them to the nose of the rib. Take tons of pictures. There is the Paul Babcock wing build video you can get from the Cub Club or Univair.

I can't tell you how many times, I'd wander across the hanger to a set of built, but uncovered wings to see how something was done
True - but with digital camera it's easy to take LOTS of pictures of all the details, with a tape measure stretched out in the pic where appropriate - then you have all that info and can also take advantage of doing one step at a time to BOTH wings at once instead of having to figure it out twice. Plus, when copying a copy there is double the opportunity for error - - -

Wow! I didn't realise they were there. A real goldmine of information in images. Just been going through Mike's fabric steps gallery too - but that's really getting ahead of myself...

I like the rib jig for straightening, I'm going to have to make one of those. I've measured and photographed, I'm ready to start.

Thanks guys
Bill

Back