• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trim problems

Cgoldy

You might check your bungee (spring) setup that runs from the stabilizer to the elevator horn. If you have a chance, compare yours to Martyn’s or another stock cub. Some of the problems I have seen on the X-cubs is that the cable/spring setup is not the proper length or the spring is not the right spring. During your trim operation the spring should never stretch on its own. The only time it should stretch is when you override the trim with your stick. As you trim for nose up slow flight----your elevator should be coming up as the stabilizer is traveling down. If your spring is too weak---your elevator will not come up to the position it should to relieve stick pressure and allow trim for slow flight. There are a lot of weak springs out there. Just a thought and it may not apply to your setup. There is more to all this but too much to write. Good luck---if there is a problem back there I am sure you will find it.

edit: Looked at your pic----you do have the TL built in.

Mark

Mark, are they still paying you a royalty on those mounts?

Yes we have to fly 25 hours within 25 miles. But we can get alot of leeway if we ask nicely. I have 13 hours flown off in 8 days. 20 beach landings and only one engine out! (I was taking off from a grass strip 10 mins after changing to the left hand tank. Climbed out hard to 150 foot and then all went quiet. Put the nose down and switched tanks in about 0.5 seconds and she burst into life again. I was heading for the water! Climbed to get some altitude and was able to replicate the problem on that tank. When I landed I found, I shouldn't realy be admitting this, that I had the fuel cap on back to front and I was creating a vacume in the tank. The joys of experimantal testing!)

I think I will try a stronger or shorter spring and see what eventuates.

Back