• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Then There Was One

The word 'hero' applies only to guys like him; and he and his compatriots would deny that to their last breath . . . . .

I think the remaining Raider is 100.

I was in Missoula today and we drove by the Post Office Thatcher worked in. Thought about him and my wife's dad who was also a WWII vet. And a Purple Heart recipient. They all have my respect.

I have an old friend in Santa Fe that wrote the same check as the rest of the Raiders. It just wasn't cashed. 25 planes and crews trained for the mission with Doolittle. Only 16 fit on the deck of the carrier, so only the best planes went. Checking out their planes when it was time to load onto the carrier, his had a prop governor fail, so his plane was left behind and he went on board the carrier as a backup crew member (Flight Engineer/top gunner). (He refers to the prop governor failure as the luckiest day of his life). After the mission rejoined Doolittle in the North Africa campaign and spent 2 years on B26s bombing Europe from the south. Now at 94 he's a little old guy in failing health. Most people have no idea about his past as he doesn't talk about it unless asked. He gave up flying 10 years ago as he didn't feel he was flying precisely enough to satisfy himself anymore, but still has crossing dirt runways on his ranch just outside of Santa Fe. Jack won't likely be with us much longer, but he still lights up when I drop in at his place in the SC and is still in love with aviation.
Recently Jack's son was helping his dad sort through some of his old papers and found an old shoebox. Inside that box were papers and medals including entitlement for combat disability pay that he never took, discharge records showing four Bronze Stars, a Presidential Unit Citation, a French Legionnaires Combat Medal and numerous other honors. Not even his son knew knew his dad had any substantial awards. http://www.kirtland.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123336082 What a gutsy bunch of guys some 75 years ago. I always have wonder if those of my generation or those after me would have stepped up to the task under similar circumstances.

-Cub Builder

Back