• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The Final Flight

I saw it land in Cali. Sonic booms WOW. Approach speed looked like 300 kts, it was mov'n, chute popped (rwy was over 15,000' + 10,000 in overruns!)

The 747 took it back to FL.

Two majestic flying machines in the video. Both designed with slide rules. Some of the 747's I fly are just as old as the -100 that transports the space shuttle. I'm in no hurry to see them go.

I used to live in So. California, one morning on the way to work here comes the 747 with the space shuttle on top. This guy was low (about 1000'), what a magnificiant sight. And of course I didn't have a camera.

One of my very first memories of television was watching the first lunar landing on our little fuzzy black and white TV in Fort Scott, KS. I would have been about 8. It was later at night than I was supposed to be up, be we were all huddled around watching. I've been captivated and awed by the space program ever since. It's been a few years since I have been to the Air and Space museum in DC and wished I had had time to visit when I was there last month.

sj

About 9 years old (1969) when I wrote (my mom helped) a letter to NASA asking if I could join the space program.

NASA PR department sent me all kinds of cool stuff about their program. At age 12 I moved to Asia ... the economic boom there was to much to ignore for my Dad's employer, UBS.com.

BTW I was in Laguna Beach, CA watching when Armstrong did the deed. Will never forget that day/evening.

Last edited:
Back