• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Starting the New Year Right!

RON NORMARK

RALEIGH, NC
I was the first to land on a brand new strip today! A friend, who is building a Glastar Sportsman, took down some trees a couple of days ago to make an approach to his100'X 600' pasture. Now there are trees on just three sides with a 300' stump field at the fourth end. Unfortunately, his neighbor has a 100' hardwood in the middle of the approach on the property line. I can get in and out just fine in the 108hp PA18 but I am wondering about his Subaru [230hp] powered Sportsman. The plane is nearly ready to fly, awaiting for a prop from Italy. That tree makes for a 3 to 1 slope. I touched down 150' from the boundary of the stumps and grass and stopped in 200', leaving 250' to spare. He feels he will need to land in the first 100' to stop safely. Any one have experience with the Sportsman?

Ron

Ron
My year started out pretty good too. First off I wasn't in the hospital.
Second, I spent the day with Calvin Brant in his Super Cub on skis. We used to fly aerobatic contests together in the mid 80's. It was a great visit and some fun flying. We aren't going to wait another 20 plus year to do it again. Damn, I have to drive home tomorrow.
Dave

Ron, that sounds like fun christening (sp?) a new runway. How you guys handle those short runways amazes me, but I have always been on the conservative side.

Dave, we are both fortunate to be out and still able to have such fun. I got to do my sort of traditional New Year's Day flight this evening, after two days of strong winds.

Trouble was, I forgot how early it gets dark, and spent too much time filling a 2.5 gallon gas can twice at the self-service pump (FBO was closed) to fill up the Cub. I only got to make two patterns, before the sun was gone over the ridge, but it was a beautiful sunset and a very satisfying flight.
Happy New Year everyone, and congratulations to all who got 2009 off to a good start with a flight today!
1-9936SunsetJan1-2009.jpg

RON NORMARK said:
Unfortunately, his neighbor has a 100' hardwood in the middle of the approach on the property line.

Ron- Has your buddy approached the neighbor about selling the tree? Tell him to bring Cash and a chain saw…

Lippy

Ron

You sure started the new years out right, I am envious.

Not much flying going on up here it was -35 at the house New Years morning has not been warming up but a few degrees during the day. I feel like I have accomplished alot just keeping my pipes from freezing(ha).

Happy New Years to all. :lol:

Cub_Driver

I have flown a 180hp Glastar with a C/S prop and would not fly it in and out of a 600 foot hard surface strip. I hope that he is not planning a first flight from that field. If he is, make sure that there is a crash wagon standing by.

Back