• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Simultaneous double slick mag failure

Big Cubs

Eaton, NY
I have been flying regularly a Recently purchased a 1958 Piper with 2140 TT engine/aircraft, 301 smo engine, and pulled it out of the hanger yesterday to attend a pancake breakfast and the engine would not start. Subsequent investigation revealed no spark from either mag, ignition switch removed from wires, mag grounding p-leads removed from both mags, no spark so removed both mags and neither produce any spark. How can that be???? Any thoughs? I am an IA/DAR with many years experience and clueless where to look.:roll:

I had the same thing happen on newly overhauled slick mags. I sent them back to the overhaul shop and they said the coil failed.

points not opening...
was 20 years ago slicks would burn up in first 15 hours because some idiot worker at slick was not lubing the cam wiper the points rode on... overhaul guy knew all about it... once he fixed them they lasted....

hard starting is usually points/gap/egap, and if you have a "slick start" booster it will 'hide' that clue and get you started and yet mags are not performing as well as they could be.....

Iv'e also had the little spring clip on the points move and not allow the points to open. the screw and nut that hold the point together was loose and moved the alignment out of square and it grabs on the edge and will not open. Very strange that both would be bad at the same time.

You say it was recently purchased? How much was it flown in the previous years? When was the last 500 hour inspection done? I have seen mags fail after little use. Just recently saw one fail when the nylon gear under the distributor block peeled some teeth off. This aircraft was only flown 5 or 6 hours a year and has a total of 50 some hours since mag overhaul. The engine guys were not surprised about the failure when we told them how little the aircraft had flown. I've also come to the conclusion that you need to watch Slicks closely for the first 50 hours or so after overhaul. If you're going to have major issues it seems to happen around that time. After that you're probably good.

Web

I had both fail on me one fine morning trying to taxi to the run up area 450 hours in ....one was condenser, and the other the coil....blew my mind, musta been my spirit guides trying to tell me something....

I had both fail on me one fine morning trying to taxi to the run up area 450 hours in ....one was condenser, and the other the coil....blew my mind, musta been my spirit guides trying to tell me something....

Yup, get Bendix mags, or the newfangled electronic ignition...

Mag falilure

Had both mag failure on c150 last summer landed in pasture run up check good next day pulled mages anyway .sent to shop both coils broke down when they got hot.

OK Guys, I get it. Nothing in the logs when the Slicks were installed but as they say "Throw away Mags". Am a huge Bendix fan and have always advised my customers o go Bendix.
I wind up with Slick. First mag failure in 60 years and over 23,000 hours so have reinstalled them in a garbage can and shiny new Bendix in the mail.

Spark Plug Resistance. I don't have the numbers written down but if your plugs have high (or low) I can't remember right now... It will cause your coils to fail. I'll find out the numbers and re-post.

Tim

Had a friend that was having all kinds of problems with his Slicks and it turned out to be bad/no motor ground!

Plug resistance should be 1000 to 5000 Ohms. Easily checked with your Meter during annual. Too high of a resistance will break down the coils when it's easier to spark internally in the mag. Mike Busch made a big deal of plug resistance a couple of years ago and called out Champion for having problems with their plugs going out of spec.

-Cub Builder

The brightness of the spark is proportional to it's temperature, which is proportional to it's ability to light a (non-optimum) mixture....the Slicks always seemed to have a weak spark compared to the Bendixes....seemed like to me, anyway....never actually measured the voltage/current. On the other hand, look which brand has the most AD's......

Had a friend that was having all kinds of problems with his Slicks and it turned out to be bad/no motor ground!
If a bad/no engine ground was determined to be the problem, something else was not hooked up correctly because when you cut off the P-leads the mags will always be on/hot. The engine needs no connection to any other part of the airframe to operate. Now if you are referring to the starter not operating correctly, the ground strap could have been the problem.

If a bad/no engine ground was determined to be the problem, something else was not hooked up correctly because when you cut off the P-leads the mags will always be on/hot. The engine needs no connection to any other part of the airframe to operate. Now if you are referring to the starter not operating correctly, the ground strap could have been the problem.

i think he means that FRIED THE MAGS....

Kind of what I was thinking. No ground strap with mags grounding through the airframe. Could lead to a whole bunch of electrons going places where they shouldn't. Like the mag coils.

Web

Back