• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Side stringers

bgriffel

Building up my new fuselage and looking my old one over and realizing I didn't have the lower side stringers on it.... Are they somewhat optional or what?

Cant' see removing parts from a Certified airplane. I had a local finish mill make mine. Milled Douglas Fir. They are what give it part of the look for a super cub profile and compensate for any irregular tubing or profiles that might be a result of repairs/damage over the years. You can use a variety of extruded aluminum profiles to create the stringers. Originals were wood with a bull nose radius simply wired on through a hole drilled in the wood. I added tabs for #4 machines screws. Take the time to sight down them and create the horizontal profile that will be mirrored when covered.

Ok, so I ordered the large stringer for the bottom from univair, I'm assuming the "small" is for the sides?

Last edited:
Our new J-3 was built up without them. I was able to make small incisions at the forward edge, slide some half- round molding in there, and anchor it with some drops of cement. Looks like all the other Cubs now, and after 3 years they are still right where I put them.

Only problem - they had painted it Stits Cub Yellow, and Stits no longer makes that color. Stewarts makes it, but Ihad to mix butyrate to match. Took about four tries. Norm was unable to match it. The incisions were only a couple inches, but by the time I was done I had one foot square places refinished.

The E-2 came from the factory without them, and I believe the J-2 had bare sides as well. One function they serve is not having your fabric hammer against the diagonals.

Back