• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Serving Your Country

Never made it - I attempted to enlist in 1974, and aced the USAF written exam, all six hours of it, and then failed the medical - they said they found evidence of opiates. Well, if that's what Coors and Budweiser used put in their beer, then I guess was a junkie! Either that, or they mixed up the samples and ended up with someone who WAS. I was too dumb to figure out that I could have gone in and redone the test. Came up to Alaska a few weeks later and went to work on a fishing boat.

Seems like all my true friends, the ones that really matter, are all ex-mil. Worked with terrific people, formerly (or currently) with the USMC, US Army, USAF, Navy and Coasties, and I always felt that I missed out on the opportunity to do something that mattered, or belong to something worthwhile. There is an obvious comraderie that former military people have that I'll never be a part of.

Your service is something that I'll respect and honor all the days of my life. God bless all of you! You're the backbone of America.

Cheers;
Mike :flag

Serving your country

I think America deserves more from us, men and women, than paying taxes and voting. What more can you do than put your life at risk for this country we call home?
USMC 0302 1992 to 1995.

Serving

My dad spent 27 years in the Navy and took part in three wars while my mother held down the fort at home. I've worn my country's uniform since I was 18. My son is in Air Force Special Ops. His two best friends are Infantry officers. One is deployed; the other is getting ready to go. On Sept 11, I stood watching my Pentagon burn while two young Arab men danced around and took pictures not 20 feet away. It was all I could do to keep my Navy buddy from killing them both. Maybe I should have let him. Yesterday I spent all day at the airport helping make sure we did everything the best we could for a young soldier and his widow who was bringing him home. Like the man said, there are no easy days. God bless America.

serving our country

my son lurks here some, but won't post, especially on this topic. He is flying F-15C's out of Elmendorf, graduated the academy in 03, has our cub at 6 Mile and is putting it on floats in a week or so. Defending our borders and living his dream.

Re: Serving your country

lester said:
I think America deserves more from us, men and women, than paying taxes and voting. What more can you do than put your life at risk for this country we call home?
USMC 0302 1992 to 1995.

Well said, Lester

Last Sunday my daughter sent me a copy of my dad's World War ONE enlistment papers that she found on the internet. What a wonderful Memorial Day present.... something I plan to mount and display next to his official Army photo. He served in France and survived that bloody mess.

As for me, qualified in fall of '65 for Marine/Navy/USAF program to enter flight training after college graduation. Had hangup with physical (spleen had been removed to cure a blood disease at 16... plus football knee injury). With no guarantee of flight training (promise to re-evaluate spleen issue after two years), I decided to take chances with Army. Football injury classified me 4-F.... and draft lottery #327 kept me out. Lost five classmates in Viet Nam, including one from carrier bomb explosion (John McCain's incident). Possibly was blessed to avoid the Viet Nam mess..... but still regret to this day missing my chance to serve my country. Was given another opportunity... but that's another story.

We are the home of the FREE because of the BRAVE...!!!

May God bless everyone of those who serve.

I was going to join right after High School, but having to jump through some extra hoops to get a medical waiver and zero support from the folks blow that plan out of the water.

Sometimes I glad I didn't joint, but most times regret it. A lot of the people I work with served and I feel out of place with them many times. Boils down to "would of, could-of, should-of".

So now I looking into the CAP. Might as well doing something useful with my ticket, and maybe I might not feel so out of place around all the veterans I know.

Service

You don't have to have worn a uniform or lived in a foxhole or hit the boat in the middle of the night or sat strip alert with a nuke in the back to have served. All you have to do is love this place and the way we live. Too many in this country don't and that's a crime. GBA.

USMC - 1982-1983 (They booted me for physical reasons)
US Army 1983 - Present (The Army wasn't as picky, and the USMC "physical reasons" were bullshit.)

Service

US Army Crew-chief OH-58 1983-1987; Civil Air Patrol in High School
Department of Justice today.

My father served in Korea, Grand Fathers (both of them) in WWII and each of my Uncles also served. Its a family thing..

Back