• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

"Sally B" Last Flying B-17 Outside North America

Darrel Starr

Plymouth, MN
Th French recently shut down "The Pink Lady" B-17 and flew it to the museum at La Ferté-Alais, near Paris. That leaves "Sally B" as the only B-17 flying outside of North America. We had the privilege of seeing "Sally B" on May 16, at an airshow at it's home base, Duxford, Cambs, UK -- a very impressive display.
Darrel
Start Up
P1080296.JPG

Fly Past
P1080399.JPG

P1080395.JPG

Remembering Those Crews Who Did Not Return
P1080406.JPG

P1080407.JPG

I got to meet some of the crew here several years ago. They gave me a really cool sticker for my tool box. The Brits really love their warbirds. Would love to make it to Duxford and some of their other historic fields. Looks like you are having a blast.

Kinda sad thats all there is,, after having thousands of them over there at one time..,, Wish the top dogs back then could only have realized how important this old stuff would be someday. Being a casulty after the war is criminal in my mind... but being a casulty of war is heroic...

Kinda like when they shoved the choppers off the aircraft carriers in Vietnam... or buried planes in the Phillipines,, criminal. I guess GI's and equipment were expendable........

Kinda like when they shoved the choppers off the aircraft carriers in Vietnam... or buried planes in the Phillipines,, criminal.

Our leaders must not have heard the saying "Waste not, want not".

Steve Pierce said:
I got to meet some of the crew here several years ago. They gave me a really cool sticker for my tool box. The Brits really love their warbirds. Would love to make it to Duxford and some of their other historic fields. Looks like you are having a blast.

Duxford, Hendon and the Imperial War Museum. All are must sees. Time for an SC.org warbird tour excursion!

We were at Duxford Flying Legends airshow last year. Large formations of warbirds, absolutely stunning, glorious day. There was a guy at the fence next to us who was absolutely entranced, but his girlfriend sat behind him for three hours on a chair reading some trash chick-lit book and didn't look up once, even when 10 Spitfires went past in formation.

Time for him to move on, I think!

Back