• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Bungee Truss Removal

KJC

FRIEND
Clear Lake, MN
In the process of rebuilding my -12, I purchased Ron Sullivans STC for for flaps and -18 gear. The STC for the gear calls for the optional removable of the bungee truss and the modification of the seat to be like an -18 seat. I have both STCs and have been studying the drawings for them.

Has anyone on this sight removed the bungee truss and what was your opinion afterwords? It just seems to me that the truss provides alot of support for the whole fuselage especially the left gear leg. How about on floats or skis when you really need that support for the forward gear fittings? Ron says you will save about 8lbs. by removing it and it works fine.

Any opinions :D

Most people remove the truss I believe it does give some extra support if you are in the rough stuff alot. Those that didn't remove the truss get rid of the bungee ears. If you are going to be on floats put in the vertical beef up tube on the left side from the lower longeron up to the horizontal tube below the window sill/throttle panel area in accordance with EDO drawing 89-S-180 & Piper Drawing# 11031. I can get you a copy of the drawings if you need

KJC said:
In the process of rebuilding my -12, ........ you will save about 8lbs. by removing it

my uncalibrated finger says this one i have hanging on it might be 3lbs...... he must be talking about some combination of things.......

Icarus,

I have Piper Drawing #11031 but not the EDO drawing. If you could get me one that would be great. :p

Looking on the drawing, I see where the float brace tube clamps in (#11026 and #11027). This is exactly how it was on mine when I took it apart. You can see in fig #1, that one of the clamps on float brace tubes (#11027) attaches to the bungee truss. Is there something on the other drawing that has you weld in another tube to reinforce the left gear leg. I don't see anything on this drawing.

Mike,

I think its possible Ron may have exaggerated a bit :lol: What do you think-remove it or leave it? I had the grinder in my had and then I started thinking......Hmmm?

Back