• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Brake Install

NunavutPA-12

FRIEND
67.8N,115.1W CYCO Canada
My PA-12 has (almost) always been on floats. It does have the brake boosters installed, though.

Since I'll be changing over from floats to wheel-skis and back every year, I understand that the best way to install the brake lines is to use a short piece of aluminum or copper line from the boosters to a couple of bulkhead fittings on the (metal) belly. Then I can use my existing hose from the bulkhead fittings to the brakes. Is that the best way to do it?

Like this.
PeteSmithCub11June1012009.jpg
The blue cap behind the gear fitting is the brake connection.

Attachments

• PeteSmithCub11June1012009.jpg
    PeteSmithCub11June1012009.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 199
Sorry, I should have mentioned that my PA-12 is Exp. so I don't have a fitting as in your photo, but that would work. Thanks.

The plane in the picture is experimental also. The fitting is a 90 degree which is connected to the master cylinder with a hard line routed under the floor.
This is what it looks like above the floor. SMITHCUBPetes044.jpg You can just make out the hard tubing as it goes under the floor just outboard of the master cylinders.

Attachments

• SMITHCUBPetes044.jpg
    SMITHCUBPetes044.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 220
The "hard tubing" you refer to ....is that aluminum? I'm having some difficulty finding hard tubing is the Aircraft Spruce catalog. I see "3003-0 Versatube" billed as "soft aluminum tubing" (p. 54). Is that the stuff to use?

No question is dumb if you don't know the answer.

Where is Nunavut? I have been to Inuvik, Tucktoyaktuk and Wood bay in the NW territories. It was a wonderful experience flying around in the north land. The wind shifted in the night so I had to get out quickly to avoid being stuck for an extended period.

Nunavut is a new territory, carved out of the eastern part of the Northwest Territories. 708,000 sq. miles - even bigger than Alaska (but fewer Super Cubs and we're not as smart!). My place is about 375-miles north of Yellowknife. Drop in sometime :smile:

Back