• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

MN Ethanol Free Fuel and Tanks

CubDriver218

Minnesota
I just read something that said MN has a law that mandates all gas in the state of MN to have 10% Ethanol in it? I was then told there are certain pumps where you can get premium fuel for collector cars and 2 stroke engines that are Ethanol free but they are hard to come by.
Does anyone have any information where I might be able to attain some Ethonal Free Fuel for my plane so I can save $1/gal
Also, I'm considering my options and figure I'm going to need to buy a tank with a pump so I can fuel up instead of fumbling around with 6, 6gallon tanks. I don't have an SUV, but I figure I should be able to fit something in my trunk? or fill up my tank with cans once I get to the hangar if need be. I'm thinking of a 36-50 Gallon tank, nothing too huge. I saw my buddy had a portable fuel tank for his boat but it was gravity fed which won't work for my application. Any suggestions, advice, and information is appreciated.

If you fly your cruiser 75 hrs a year, at 9 gph fuel burn, thats 675 gallons per year. If you save a buck a gallon for mogas, that $675 per year.
That price wouldnt be enough for me to carry 50 gals gas in the trunk of my car. I think that is not a safe thing to do. The consequences for yourself, your family, and the person that might rearend you are catastrophic. At a minimum, get an approved tank (which is very expensive for gasoline) and hook it in a pickup truck. Then you still should worry about static. I buy fuel for the plane at an airport, its a lot less risk and headache, but it comes at a price.

Jim

Scouter said:
If you fly your cruiser 75 hrs a year, at 9 gph fuel burn, thats 675 gallons per year. If you save a buck a gallon for mogas, that $675 per year.
That price wouldnt be enough for me to carry 50 gals gas in the trunk of my car. I think that is not a safe thing to do. The consequences for yourself, your family, and the person that might rearend you are catastrophic. At a minimum, get an approved tank (which is very expensive for gasoline) and hook it in a pickup truck. Then you still should worry about static. I buy fuel for the plane at an airport, its a lot less risk and headache, but it comes at a price.

Jim

I agree with Scouters analyiss

I fly my pacer 75+ hr's a year @ 7 gph, thats 525 gals. My Skybolt burns 13 gph and I try to fly it 25 hr a year, thats 325. My super Chief with 0235 40 hr @ 6 gph thats 240. Total 1090 gal's. I save $1.35 per gal average, thats almost $1500 a year savings in fuel alone. My spark plugs never foul on auto fuel and I get 150-200 hr's more life out of them . My fuel system was built from a 18 wheeler fuel tank, mounted on an old motor cycle trailor. My 12 volt pump and meter show that since I built it I have ran close to 6000 gals of fuel thru it.
You are right 5 gal cans of gas in your trunk is not the way to go. If it wasnt for fuel savings I dont know what I would do. I like buying fuel from our local FBO. They are good people. Pete

Pete is right on IMHO.

I agree trunk is bad. I use the Truck.

100LL has caused problems ever since 80/87 went away.

I'll use e-free mogas as long as I can. I might use it over 100LL even @ the same price, have to think about it.

Jack

Richard,
Back to your original question....you'll have to look around town but you should be able to find a pump marked "non-oxygenated fuel" this is usually on the Premium pump. I get it at the local Cenex station. Also, if you have a farm use, you can have a distributor deliver to your bulk tank on your property and you can get non-ethanol fuel from them for farm use.
As a precaution you need to check it for ethanol. Easy to do.....do a search on here or check the EAA site.

WW

Generally, gasoline is fully regulated in the FHMR. There are a couple of exceptions to that statement. First, it may be transported as a limited quantity, with each inner package not exceeding 0.3 gallons (1 liter), and as such is excepted from labeling, placarding, and specification packages (Section 173.150(b)). The second exception is materials of trade (MOTs). As a Packing Group II material, each can of gasoline may not exceed a capacity of 8-gallons. With a gross maximum of 440 lbs., that’s about nine 8-gallon cans, assuming there is no other MOTs on the vehicle. The containers must be metal or plastic and either conform to USDOT specifications or OSHA standards. Most gasoline cans found in hardware stores meet the OSHA standards. The container must be marked, “Gasoline”. Any containers of gasoline in excess of 8-gallons capacity must be in compliance with the FHMR. See the Hazardous Material Bulletin titled Materials of Trade (Volume 3, No. 5) for more information on the provisions of this exception.
In any container exceeding 8-gallons capacity, gasoline must be transported in compliance with the regulations. Any container of gasoline over 8-gallon capacity must be a USDOT specification package. The use of dispensing tanks, while commonly seen in construction and agricultural use are prohibited for gasoline. In addition, for containers over the 8-gallon limit, shipping papers, package markings and package labels are required (Sections 172.200, 172.300, and 172.400, respectively). The training requirements must also be complied with (Section 172.700). If the capacity of package exceeds 119 gallons, or the total gross weight of all the gasoline packages exceed 1000 lbs., placards are required (Section 172.500).

Hi Rick

The Holiday stations generally carry non-oxygenated fuel. Fleet farm does too. While at Fleet, check out the portable tanks they have and the transfer pumps. They are really proud of the ones you might be thinking of. Northern Hydraulics also carries the tanks and pumps. There is a Northern on Cliff and 35W. The Fleet Farm is down 35W on hiway 50.

In theory, to transport fuel, the tank you use has to be DOT certified to do so. (what twoton said) I'm not too certain I would like to carry more than a few gallons in the car, and then only occasionally. Auto fuel stinks & the smell from even a small amount on the outside of the container will give you headaches. Probably not worth getting a pickup to transport it either.

Typically, hummingbird or Modern Avionics has about the cheapest avgas prices in town, right there at FCM.

Cheers
Wayne

Thank you! I agree about not wanting to stink up my car and get headaches. I'm thinking maybe a getting a trailer hitch and getting 50-100 gallon tank so I can save money. I've been using Hummingbird and flew last night for a few hours just in the pattern at FCM. It's been beautiful out. if I fly 100 hours a year I can save about 800 bucks. That's a lot of money.

Back