• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lake Hood ICE REPORT..SkiPlane Base or SeaPlane Base?

"...Who is "Sierra Bravo"? Mr. Happy, Mr. Positive?.." , said my bride after I showed her the very sobering comment about shorter days. :)

The good news is we just broke the record for the longest snow year on record coming in at 231 days. I'm gonna give my wheel skis a big hug.

Jerry

From the NWS:

...ANCHORAGE SETS A HOST OF NEW RECORDS...

THE OFFICIAL CLIMATE STATION FOR ANCHORAGE (AT THE NATIONAL WEATHERSERVICE OFFICE ON SAND LAKE ROAD) RECEIVED 0.3 INCHES OF SNOW ONFRIDAY MAY 17. THIS SETS A DAILY SNOWFALL RECORD BARELY EDGING OUTTHE OLD RECORD OF 0.2 INCHES SET IN 1989.

A NEW DAILY RECORD FOR LIQUID PRECIPITATION WAS ALSO SET ON FRIDAY.RAIN PLUS MELTED SNOW ADDED UP TO 1.30 INCHES WHICH BREAKS THE OLDDAILY RECORD OF 0.21 INCHES SET IN 1959.AS OF 10 AM THIS MORNING ANOTHER 0.1 INCHES WAS RECORDED. THIS SETS A NEW DAILY RECORD FOR MAY 18 BREAKING THE OLD RECORD OF A TRACE OF SNOW FROM 1966.

THE SNOWFALL FROM THE PAST TWO DAYS MAKES 2012-2013 THE LONGEST SNOW SEASON SINCE RECORDS BEGAN IN 1917. THERE WERE 232 DAYS BETWEEN THE FIRST MEASURABLE SNOWFALL (SEPTEMBER 29) AND THELAST MEASURABLE SNOWFALL (MAY 18th). THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 230 DAYS SET IN 1981-1982.

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE ONLY REACHED 37 DEGREES ON FRIDAY. THIS SETS ANEW DAILY RECORD FOR LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE ON MAY 17 BREAKINGTHE OLD RECORD OF 44 DEGREES SET IN 1971. THIS ALSO MAKES MAY 17 THE LATEST DATE A MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE THAT LOW HAS OCCURRED. THE PREVIOUS LATEST OCCURRENCE OF A HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 37 DEGREES WAS MAY 4TH...OBSERVED IN THE YEARS 1945...1949...AND 2013.

Last edited:
A day made for boys and dogs. The snow makes the dog act like a puppy. Me? Not as much but I may as well try to enjoy it.

photo.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    820.4 KB · Views: 196
We tried a Beaver on Hood today. Decided not to load it and go. It would have gone, but the wind changed and the wake from the step-taxi/test broke up some ice and there was no sense dinging the floats on that ice. Maybe tomorrow.

The West shoreline of Lake Hood has a lead about 80 feet wide from the Grant hangar all the way up to the old Lee's Air Service/North Ramp.

Just heard a Beaver take off on Lake Hood guess that was U :roll: 9:30 AM 5/19/13 Got be the first :lol:

Attachments

• current.jpg
    current.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Please send that magic Beaver to Eagle River.

NoBeaverMagic.JPG

May192013.JPG

The geese are walking on the ice in confusion and muttering to themselves.

Attachments

• May192013.JPG
    May192013.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 161
  • NoBeaverMagic.JPG
    NoBeaverMagic.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 175
Well it's that time of year again. I haven't seen anyone fly off the lake yet ("at your own risk"). Then again, I'm stuck in the dark room below the tower so all I do is hear people on the lake.

Looking forward to ski flying this February. Until then I will have to be content with landing where I should normally need skis.IMG_2644.jpgFigure 8 lake, December 20, 2014

Attachments

• IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    698.2 KB · Views: 200
Northern Maine all locked up good and solid now over a foot of good ice most everywhere round here, with 6-8 inches of dry snow
Ontop of it, pretty much perfect ski flying conditions! Was 18 below here this morning right after daylight, but has warmed up to a balmy
9 degrees below now!

15AC, im with ya. I have 1 more winter up here and so far it isn't worth it to buy a set of skis for my -18. I'm having plenty of fun up Knik on 31's.

Back