• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

iPad Mini Mount

Sikorsky

The last GPS I bought was a Garmin GPS Pilot III. It's time for a technological update. I've been told by many in the know that I want an iPad Mini with Foreflight for the recently completed experimental J3. What is the parade model mount setup, specifically for the back seat pilot? I'm thinking the location should be the upper cabin structure but curious what others have done for back seat SC passengers who run an iPad mini or iPad.

Many Thanks,

Sikorsky

Back seat: RAM mount with their ipad mini mount and 1" ball, a tough-claw with 1" ball to the overhead, and 3" arm between the two.

I've been told by many in the know that I want an iPad Mini with Foreflight for the recently completed experimental J3.

iPad is not the only option. Avare on an Android is very capable, All USA VFR and IFR chart with geo referenced approach plates for no subscription fee. A donation is appreciated. ADS-B traffic can be added with a low cost Stratux receiver.

One thing to keep in mind,,, if you need glasses, specifically bifocals or progressives, you will have a difficult time tilting your head back enough to use glasses to see the ipad, if mounted above your head. I had to mount mine low for this reason.

iPads, even Minis, are awkward in a narrow panel. For swapping front and back seat use I’d think a knee board would be the best solution. Lots of guys prefer them in bigger planes, too. Don’t overlook how useful a plus size smart phone can be in the flight app role. That’s what I use in support of the G3X in my own Cub.

Zack, I mounted my mini up high, but plan on removing it and mounting it closer to panel level for the reason mentioned in a previous post. Bifocals!! You're going to be getting to the age soon of needing readers so may as well plan ahead. LoL

I also don't like diverting my gaze from looking out the windows. The closer in line with looking out, the less chance of missing something. It's amazing how fast an oncoming plane can appear, even our low and slow flyers.

The kneeboard idea works well also as a glance down, especially with bifocals is much easier than looking up.

Keith- I agree with forward sight being import. So much so I moved the water rudder retract as well as Amphib retract handle in the upper cabin to eliminate looking down. More likely to hit stuff if fumbling around with stuff on the floor and not looking out the window. I’d like to come off the front seat back but the front seat will likely not be present much.

In the heli there weren’t screens up top. Actually I can’t think of anything that intentionally puts screens above the head.

Z

The cub is so slow, I don’t need or use a iPad mount. I keep it the seat- back pocket and pull it out when I need it. Now I just use my iPhone if it’s a somewhat local flight to check notams, and weather. If I get ramp checked It still has current charts and a weight and balance. All these gadgets, wires, mounts in a cramped cockpit drives me nuts.

I have used an iPad mini with Foreflight in J3 and PA 11 powered by external lithium ion battery since neither had electrical system. Worked great for all my flying except when got caught in some fog up along the maine coast. Touch control stopped working due to condensation on it.

Still use it in the Husky and have it paired with the Garmin GTX345 for traffic. Works great with all the traffic around Denver. Already had 2 occasions where traffic was avoided with plenty of time after seeing it on Foreflight. I don’t think the other plane ever saw my Husky. I made a knee board for it since haven’t found a place to mount it yet. The old GTX250XL is too hard to program so never use it other for radio.

Thinking about getting the larger iPad Pro 11”. Just fits on my leg and inside interior. The latest iPad mini is best since brighter than the older ones. Get the version with cellular data service for the internal gps even if you don’t subscribe to it.

Last edited:
Sikorsky - I was flying an open cockpit aircraft at the time. I doubt this would occur if in a closed cockpit like the Cub. Of course you don’t want to fly in fog conditions either..

Only other thing to note the iPads may temporarily shut down due to over temp if left in direct sunlight on hot day with no airflow. So have to place it somewhere if you stop for lunch in summer where it’s not in direct sunlight. Otherwise you have to wait for it to cool down before turning on to run Foreflight. Overall it’s still a great GPS option.

Last edited:
Back