• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Geocaching Supercubbers??

HATIN11R

Sandpoint,Idaho
I recently got my family involved in geocaching and use my Garmin 196. This is a really fun and relaxing activity and the pilot community could greatly enhance this fun.Does anyone here at S.C.org geocache?For those that don't know,this is a modern version of a treasure hunt using GPS.There are something like 600,000 cache sites all over the globe.Checkout www.geocaching.com to get the details and put in your zip code.You will be surprised at how many cache sites are near you and chances are you have walked,drove etc right by them.With the avail.means to fly to other cache site areas,the possibilities are endless.Check it out,you may get hooked.If anyone is interested and wants to try it,we have a cache right here in Brenham.It is listed as Action Jackson.To pull up the coordinates register at the above site and go to "hide and seek cache" and then put in 77833 for the zip code.You will pull up all the area cache sites within a certain distance and everything else you need will also be given to help you find the site.It is a great fun challenge and very enjoyable and these sites usually contain some pretty cool"cache" stuff.Have fun......Herman.

Looks like fun Herman! I see there are several caches, here in the Ruidoso area. Got my grandson coming next week for Spring break. Bet he'll get a kick out of it.
Thanks!

Ron.....it is great fun and your grandson should have a blast.Be sure to read up alittle about the different size caches and how to go undetected by the "muggles".The best caches are the standard size vs the micro cache ( 35mm film container) Anyway glad to hear your gonna give it a go.Good luck and don't get discouraged if you don't immediately find a cache.Takes alittle practice.....Herman. p.s.....don't forget to print out the decoded hints in case your having trouble.Let me know how it goes.

I recently had the privilege of doing a little work for the company that runs the geocaching website, they are headquartered in Seattle. Very interesting product and very interesting sport.

I think it might be interesting to develop a Supercub accessible set of caches - ones stashed at remote locations only accessible by Supercub (or comparable substitute aircraft - if there is such a thing). I don't have the time to do that just now but I'd certainly be a player if some one else got it kicked off.

Also they have the "travelbug" where a trackable item is passed along and its location can be tracked via the website. Maybe we should see if we can get a Supercub.org travel bug with the goal of having it circle the globe passing from Cub to Cub.

Just some thoughts.

Gunny.......great idea for a S.C.org travel bug.You could attach the TB to a die cast Cub or the like.To watch it's travels would be cool.I just had a Geocoin placed in my cache that originated in Germany.It lasted about a week and then traveled to a cache in Austin,Tx......Herman.

Back