• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin GPS 100AVD Database Update Needed...

Champdriver

Benton, Kansas
I recently obtained an Old Garmin 100 that appears to work really well, for an older GPS. The problem is, the data base is EMPTY... :( Garmin nor Jeppesen offer any updates for the older units, the last update Jeppesen released is April 2003.
What I am looking for is anyone that can assist me in getting a "Useable" Database for the older unit. I have no intentions of using the unit as a Primary Navigational unit, just using it as a Reference. I could certainly use any assistance available...
Thanks...

You might be able to do something with this software, AirPlan:
http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplan/airplan7001.htm

It is the best deal I've found in mapping software, and I've been able to use it to chart out the boundaries of local TFRs, then download the marker waypoints to my Garmin portable GPS. The software also allows for downloading not only user waypoints, but also airports, NDBs, etc. You might be able to build a current database in AirPlan, then send it to the Garmin 100.

The software also uploads tracks from my Garmin (did I really get that close to the TFR?) and does moving map too.

It's got a lot of cababilities, but is sometimes hampered in that it's slightly unrefined, in my opinion. I think its a labor of love of one particular individual, Dean Wilkinson. You can buy it either on CD, or download only for a discounted price.

Dean is a pretty good guy, and in my opinion is more likely to support a project like yours than one of the larger companies. But I haven't sampled them all, I just like what I've been able to do with AirPlan.

Good luck!

-->Aaron

Here is a link to one on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2450157950&category=26436

I have one and have been told that Garmin won't update the data base any more. It had to be done at an avionics shop. Not downloadable. I have used mine for years and like the fact that it is mounted in the panel. Doesn't have the bells and whistles of the hand helds but it gets me where I am going. The data base is a bummer because they keep changing identifiers. Would be nice if they where building new airports.

Back