• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel Cap Leaking - PA-11 wing tank

DavePA11

Anyone know how to fix fuel leaking from the cap on PA-11 wing tank? Is there a replacement rubber gasket I can buy?

Thanks,

Dave

I'm not sure what kind of fuel cap you are using, but I have heard of a guy with a PA-11 , going down to the local auto parts store and buying a neoprene rubber gasket in the plumbing section and tracing out the old one (which was dry and cracked). It works great. Check your caps, and make sure they are vented and clear.

huh???????, the cap should be vented.....

yes stoddards or atlees sell new gaskets....

???but.. but you you sure it's not a cracked filler neck leaking? atlee sells a fix it kit for that too....

I'll have to look at it closer. I just assumed it was coming out of the cap. I filled it up couple of times to the brim, and when I landed after cleaning I noticed fuel left overs on the top of the wing. I didn't have this on my J3 wing tank, but it was different cap.

Dave after some thinking I remembered that when I filled you at Pittsfield that the cap didn't lock that tight. I wiggled it twice to check it. same at Rays. Go to NAPA and get a gasket material kit, Sheets of different gasket material. I'd try cutting a 1/16" thick shim and put it under the old gasket till the new one arrives.

Glenn

I had the same issue with my 7GCBC when I first got it. It would leak a little bit around both caps every flight. I replaced the gaskets and that didnt help much at all and finally replaced both caps from Stoddards. The new ones go on much, much tighter and no fuel residue since then.

Stoddards is an aircraft supply store here in Anchorage just like Aircraft Spruce. The caps I used were for my Citabria, but they had them there for Pipers as well. Aircraft Spruce should have them as well.

Did you finally get this fixed and while it was still leaking, did you get big fuel leaks when side slipping etc? I'm wondering if my recent fuel leaks might also be down to the filler cap gasket :)

Fill them to the brim and they all seep a little fuel. Leave an inch or so of space Dave and see if the problem goes away

Mabe not your issue, but if you top it off outside when its cool and put it in a warm hanger, youll almost always have fuel overspill. I watched kids top our king airs off in the winter and put them in the heated hangar. Next morning there's a jet-a lake under them. Cruiser is right, if you top it off before hangering, leave at least an inch. If you topped it off before you stuck it in the hanger, id fly a little fuel off and see if that fixes the issue.

Yeah - I just cut gaskets out of high quality cork sheet - gas and oil.

But here's a tip: Spruce is now selling brand new Aeronca caps, both vented and non-vented, for just a few bucks more than NAPA. I got one of each just to make sure I don't run out! They look like the originals.

I find that the Cubs need that little "pffft" on top that looks like a pitot. The non-vented cap, some copper tube, and solder does that just fine. Saves sixty bucks.

Yeah - I just cut gaskets out of high quality cork sheet - gas and oil.

But here's a tip: Spruce is now selling brand new Aeronca caps, both vented and non-vented, for just a few bucks more than NAPA. I got one of each just to make sure I don't run out! They look like the originals.

I find that the Cubs need that little "pffft" on top that looks like a pitot. The non-vented cap, some copper tube, and solder does that just fine. Saves sixty bucks.

A pre 1984 Harley cap works just fine also, and you can get it in chrome

Glenn

Back