• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Found A Crash Today

Patrol Guy

FRIEND
east of the river
While I was on a routine pipeline patrol, I came across this crashed cessna. I was inside the 5 mile inter circle of Wright Patterson USAF base's airspace.

This plane is inside an abandoned rock quarry 3 miles from the tower. I was circling the wreck, while two F 16's were doing T&G's in a pattern above me. (excuse for blurry pics). I called the tower, and they knew nothing about the cessna. I gave gps coordinates and left the area.

A few minutes later, Springfield (where the 16's were from) tower called me for more info. Until then, I never thought to turn the radio to 121.5.

It looks to me like there was no prop on the cessna?

jg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

I just zoomed in on some of those blurry cessna pictures I took today. There is no prop, rudder, or elevator on that thing. It must be abandoned, or stacked that way for a movie?? I now do not think it crashed there, but think it's strange that WPAFB controllers didn't know about it. At least no one was probably hurt there.

In the last two Cessna crashes near here, the prop separated from the airplane and landed some distance away. Actually one was a Bellanca and the other was a Cessna. It could be that the prop was somewhere under the bushes. If it was brought in by helicopter wouldn't the tower have known about it? ...Clyde

Is that the quarry north of Greene County Airport? There have been several wrecks there in the past. If you like, post or PM me the location. I'll drive by and see if I can get an N number and a story.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but known wreckage is supposed to be marked with an X is it not?Seems like this wasn't reported?Stolen,drug run, other?No NTSB report as far back as 2000 matches this wreck.Would be nice to get the scoop on this.....Herman.

Military base? Looking at the surroundings I'd guess it's a training aid.

SB

That's a possibility. Just doesn't seem likely, since 3 miles from the tower puts it off the base, it is not marked, and (given how lazy us Air Force types are) there are no vehicle tracks near it.

Three miles could put it in Beavercreek, Huber Heights, Fairborn, Bethel Township, Bath Township, or one of several other districts. Quarries are EVERYWHERE in southwest Ohio, and they are a favorite place to "store" things legally and dump things illegally.

Sounds interesting... I'd like to get the story too. Hopefully Patrol Guy will get back to me with a location so I can check it out.

Mystery solved. Stewart was right on. I called WPAFB today and they told me "it was just an exercise at Fairborn".

Funny the tower knew nothing about it.

...of course, they are the same people who say there is no extraterrestrials stored there.

jg

Right hand...meet left hand. Too funny....

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4648

From the link:

I thought some of you might find this humorous. Yesterday, my fire department assisted the Wright-Patterson fire department with a controlled burn at the prairie where the Wright Brothers perfected their flying. The burn was conducted by the Ohio Dept of Natural Resources, and is done every-so-often to allow for regrowth and regeneration, and the departments keep the fire from getting out-of-control.
So, anyway........my crew hadn't been at station one for two minutes when the tones went, followed by a loud voice excitedly stating, "We have a report of an aircraft down....at the gravel pit two miles east of the base......this is NOT an excercise".......". He went on to say that another aircraft had reported the downed plane to the tower. The guys SCRAMBLED in all directions, including the Chiefs . One guy threw up his hands and yelled, "WAIT!! WAIT!! That's the one we put there. It's for the drill we're doing on Thursday".
Turns out is was a junk Cessna that had indeed been placed in the pit for training. Afterward, one of the guys said that his first thought was that the 'downed plane' was one of the F-16s from the 178th that had just completed a series of touch-and-goes at the base........one of which had REPORTED the downed plane
Talk about a lack of communication!!

Back