• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying from Southern California-Minnesota

I'd throw 2 cents in the ring and say, skip the shaky cruise prop and put the Borer back on. The speed difference isn't worth the aggravation. (nor the higher fuel burn)

There's a 160 hp modded up 12 here that once sported a 76/58 (going to AK and back) cruise prop. It was a no good, wretched, awful, inefficient, beat-the-air-to-a-froth-without-going-anywhere, lousy combination. :-?
(I would assume a 56 would be quite a bit more efficient). Finally the owner was convinced to put back on the 82/44 Borer that came with the airplane when he originally bought it... aaahhhhh...WHEW! mucho' bettero' all around. 8)

Also, ditto Speedo's post res 1-40 etc...

Have you planned stops along a route?
Looks like the weather along most of the route calls for chances of rain and snow for this weekend and the first of next week. Ya might take a couple good books along in case you get weather in.
Have a great time and take your time.

Steve
MEJ

My old T Bird is still available in DDC if you need it.
My cell is 785 766 20seven seven.

We pretty much have the route planned, however I have not planned the exact fuel stops yet. I suppose tonight would be a good time to do that. It looks like Dodge City is right on our way and it's very generous of you to offer us your T-Bird. Steve, will you be around if we end up stopping in? It'd sure be nice to meet some people in the SC community.

Just gave the go-ahead to put the borer prop back on and ship the cruise prop home. The cruise prop still had bad vibration and the speed difference was not worth the trouble and aggravation - say, that sounds familiar - who said that?
:wink:
Captain Ron

Richard, Hey I quit planning for fuel stops long ago. The winds always screw the planning up. You either stop too soon, or you can't make that spot.

Well that will sure make flight planning easy. Just follow the highway, watch weather on the GPS and land at the most convenient gas station. :D

Now you've got it!! They should eliminate about 15 questions on the written test and substitute this?

Patrol Guy said:
Richard, Hey I quit planning for fuel stops long ago. The winds always screw the planning up. You either stop too soon, or you can't make that spot.

Be careful when flying on Sunday....if they don't have a credit card machine you can be SOL. If that does happen....I highly suggest seeing if gas will siphon out of the system.....you can ask my wife why I know about that :p :roll:

I'm confused, why would I need to syphon gas out of the plane? Maybe syphon some in. :drinking: and why do you know about this?

Not the plane... the elevated tank and gravity feed thru the pump TO your airplane. :eek:

If you stop at Dodge City be sure to visit the NOAA station there. Technically they don't do pilot briefings, but they do love to show off their cool computers and modeling stuff, and you'll walk out of the building with a comprehensive knowledge of the weather to expect on your way home.

While you're in DC you can also audition to play one of the characters in the shoot-em-up that's done daily during the summer for the touristas. Bring your Colt revolver.

Hey don't thank me for the T Bird til you see it :)....it really is a beater but will always start if you pump the gas enough in cold weather, heater and radio works tho. Also the brakes are a little touchy the first couple times you step on them. You will find the keys above the sunvisor. Don't put gas in it, the gauge also doesn't work but it has plenty.
Give me a call when you get close. I have a cub 30 miles Southwest of DDC at MEJ, if Iam not tied up I may be able to meet you.

Visiting Dodge City's NOAA is a great idea, these guys really have a feel for what's up with the weather more so than you get with a briefer. Also the FBO in Dodge (Crotts Aviation) are super friendly and can pretty much fix anything....
Also if Dodge doesn't work, Hutchinson Ks. (HUT) has a nice little restaurant on the field...BBQ buffet on Thursdays!!

Good Luck!
Steve

Sounds great Steve. I put your number in my phone and will be in touch and try to stop at DC or Hutchison. Do any of you guys have a fuel flow monitor? The gentleman is offering me a fuel flow monitor with the STC paper work that was never installed and is still brand new. I can see where it would be nice to know exactly how much fuel burn you are getting and how much fuel is left. We fly out of Minneapolis Friday evening and will start our Journey back Sat or Sun. I look forward to giving updates and posting pictures. I'm really happy to see the amount of views and responses to this post. I am excited to make new friends and go on new adventures.

the fuel burn advice is true. 7.5/hr borer compared to 9-9.5/hr with the cruise. Same RPM.

Lance

If the engine is turning the same RPM how can it be burning more fuel with a different prop? I don't fully understand this concept.

Same rpm...Different manifold pressure.
A low pitch prop (Borer) takes less power to turn the same rpm as a coarse ('cruise') prop.
Less power= less fuel burn
If your willing to turn more cruise RPM the low pitch prop will go (nearly) the same speed, (at the same fuel burn) as the cruise prop.
DaveG

Yep different fuel burn PER HOUR.. but considering ground speed the lower fuel burning prop will probably go thru more fuel before destination.

Actually that would only be true if we were flying slower then our best range speed i.e. "Best Miles Per Gallon" speed (which is usually just a bit faster then Vy).
We cruise significantly above that speed, which means that slowing down means we use less power and IMPROVES "miles per gallon".

DaveG

Richard

I have read, with interest, about all the advice you received for your trip to MN.

Since you have decided to not take a SPOT or PLB along, may I offer this bit of advice. I am assuming you have a Comm radio and a Transponder.

Once airborne give a call to ATC and request VFR Flight Following. Do this on each and every leg of your journey. Just be sure to fly high enough to stay in radar contact. This way you are only a mic click away from help should you need it.

I know, I know, folks will come on here to tell you how distracting this may be, having to listen to chatter , etc. Yes, they are correct. But unless you feel VERY comfortable going it totally alone, I suggest you use ATC to hold your hand. They will also advise you of any traffic conflicts that are also mode C.

I just finished a 2 week, 45hr trip in my SC from ATL to Las Vegas and return.Quite a few times ATC told me of aircraft either on a conflicting heading or overrunning me from behind. I flew 40 years for a living, all the while using ATC, so it comes naturally for me to bring them in the loop when needed.

One last thing....once you are in the system for VFR FF it is easy for anyone (your father?) to go to www.flightaware.com and type in your tail# and hit "track any flight". You must be in the system...not just on a filed VFR flight plan.

Just my 2 cents.
Hope you enjoy the trip.

Lou

I decided that I do want to get a PLB, I just decided agains the SPOT and am looking at the ACR resqfix

Richard Deblack said:
Do any of you guys have a fuel flow monitor? The gentleman is offering me a fuel flow monitor with the STC paper work that was never installed and is still brand new.

I wish I had a fuel flow monitor in my plane, and will be adding one when I revise my panel in the future.

Eric

I have a fuel flow instrument in my airplane, and have had them in several others before.

I love them for several reasons. You have to get them properly calibrated, which can take a few flights to figure out, but once you get them calibrated, they are remarkably accurate.

Now, with experience, you can learn to judge fuel flow, and I would never trust one of these things or fuel gauges alone to tell me for sure when I'm at bingo fuel.

Where these things work is that you can change power settings, lean the mixture, and instantly SEE what that power setting equates to in fuel burn per hour. So, it does away with a lot of note taking, and trial and error. If you want to know for sure what the fuel burn is for one power setting otherwise, you need to fly the plane at that power setting for at least a couple hours, then refill tanks, and do the math. With a fuel flow computer, you just read the number off the gauge. That really isn't AS important in a fixed pitch prop equipped airplane, but it still helps.

These things don't weigh hardly anything, and they provide a great ADJUNCT to your fuel gauges, your math skills, and will give you more information on what's going on.

Should you trust one implicitly? Nope--you could be losing fuel through a leak, a loose or missing fuel cap, etc.

But, I like the things, and will probably have one on my next airplane.

MTV

Thank you so much for you input on a number of questions I've had. You sound very knowledgeable and it's a big help to have such great people feeding me good information at this stage in the game for me.
Just wanted to let you know I appreciate it. I'm still researching these PLBs The fuel flow monitor sounds great, however I've run out of funding. The airplane is going to be excellent the way it is. I'm so excited and maybe in the future after I get some time and maybe a pay increase I will look into the fuel flow monitor

Ricky,
Lookin forward to seeing you n your new bird ! Its been along time coming, but you did things right in my opinion. Took your time, found what you were looking for. It will be a lot of fun for many years to come. Always remember, you now have a license to learn n great bird to do just that !! Have a safe flight home, make sound decisions n you'll be fine, besides your co-pilot is a pretty darn good one !!! See you soon.

ps- looking forward to them payback hrs you had in the front seat of mine !! :wink:

Richard,

Don't sweat the fuel flow computer. That's something that's great to have, but avgas is more important at this stage of the game.

Take your time with the trip, stop and smell the roses, don't let anyone or anything push you into doing something you don't want to do.

You'll remember this trip for a long time, so make it as enjoyable as possible. You've done a lot of prep work, which is good.

And, finally, do something I never did----Take pictures!!

Then, post em here.. :lol:

MTV

David, You have had a great impact on my life and it was ever since my first ride in your supercub that I just knew I had to have one someday. You've been so generous over the years throwing me in the front seat and helping me learn. I've always looked up to you and I can't wait to get to do some flying with you. I need to earn one of those hats, so I'll be over there before you know it.

The Taxi is on it's way to bring us to the MSP airport for our one way trip to California. I'm praying for good weather. I will upload photos and videos along the way and keep everyone posted. Thanks again for all the help and interest.

Nothing but crummy weather here in So. Cal this weekend. Winter storms (ok, nothing like Alaska ) lots of rain, mountain snow, 40 mph winds, very ugly. Should end by Monday. Have a good flight.
Marty57

Hey Marty,

The weather is just as bad up here. Did you ever make it to Visalia to see your son?

Back