• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cubdriver 749er

ksecub

Portland, OR
Check out Loni's web page:

www.cubdriver749er.com

Loni is one of the best pilots I have ever had the pleasure of flying with. I have learned a lot from him and he has allowed me to take my off field flying to a whole new level. Before I met Loni, I thought I was pretty good, but after flying with him I learned that I had a long way to go. It's amazing how Loni has influenced the way I fly, everything from technique to judging potential landing sites.

It looks like Loni is offering a bush flying course, hats off to you Loni. I will put my name out on the line and personally recommend Loni to anyone wanting to reach the next level in their bush flying career.

Doug Keller

Exceptional Skills

I have been following Loni around for 4+ years now and have no problem saying he is a guy anyone can learn from. I watch him make every landing and take off look effortless. He does not take chances with his plane and has this knack for reading potential landing spots that is amazing. I would not be the pilot I am today with out this friend and mentor.

I also had a chance last summer to spend a month at Marabou Landing. Anyone interested in a real Alaskan experience should jump at the chance to spend some time out in this area. What a playground for the Supercub guys.

Thank you Loni!

Greg

I can also attest to Loni's abilities with the Supercub. I first flew with him a number of years ago and it was Loni that first put me in the front seat of a Supercub. Since then I have flown with him on a number of occasions to places that I would have never believed accessible by plane.

I highly recommend him.

Safe skies all.

-Bob

Loni took me up one time and I was amazed at what a supercub could do in the hands of a skilled pilot. I would definatley reccomend Loni to anyone who wants to learn how to fly the bush. I'd love to take his course sometime.

I just took Loni's first three day course on the Columbia. I can report that he's not only an amazing pilot, but a good teacher as well. I've watched Loni fly, and have been trying to copy what I thought he was doing. It wasn't working very well. In three days, he showed me how it's done. His techniques are not what I imagined, but they work. I'm still a long way from consistent, but at least I know what I'm practicing will work when I get it right.

If you're ready to tackle the never-been-landed-on rough stuff, I'd recommend Loni without reservation.

Loni is just fun to watch he can handle that cub like some people handle a dirt bike. He will successful in this venture for sure.

Ah comeon TJ you have done worse than that. Just landing at your bear camp is an adventure and a chance. Have you mowed the grass lately?

Water landing/ski

I am sure someone will have something to say about this but if you are not using water as an extention of the runway you are missing a tool in the tool box. There is a very good article (I will have to look it up and get back on the issue) but knowing how to use the water is a great advantage and not un-safe if used "correctly". This is no more dangerous then using other mastered techniques. Learning anything new can have pitfalls, this one requires some caution.

Greg

Water assisted landing & takeoff

The Mountain Pilot Publication in October of 1998 had a great article about this. I found the article to be true and accurate from my own experience. If you have been toying with or already use the technique it is still a good read.

Greg

Re: Water landing/ski

Mauleguy said:
I am sure someone will have something to say about this but if you are not using water in your cub yet you are missing a tool in the tool box.
Greg

Greg-

You had me confused. I thought you physically had the water inside of your plane, not the water right before or after your intended landing destination.

Loni came over to fly with me in Africa for a few weeks. I cannot say enough good things for Loni. Not only is this guy an amazing pilot and instructor, he really is someone fun to be with too.
Anyone want to seriously get into the bush game should think about learning from this guy.
So many things have changed since Loni influenced my technique. Everything is just so much easier and safer now (and shorter and rougher).

It's downriver form the Chilikadrotna and up river from the Nushagak on the Mulchatna River, I know this leaves a pretty big area but I have no maps in front of me. The strip sits at the base of a fairly large mountain that is actually named but I can't remember the name.

Greg

Back