• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Corvus Migrans the Wandering Raven

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG

DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0631.JPG

corvus-migrans

Corvus Migrans,

Congratulations on a summer well spent! That is quite an adventure you are having. Thanks for sharing it.

My 14 year old son and I took a trip exploring together in the Cub this summer - so I know what you have done there is precious!

Bob Breeden

www.AlaskaAirpark.com

Yeah, that char looks delicious in the pan, but am I s'posed to believe you just pick 'em up out'a the stream? That's what the pic looks like! :)

Keep on travelin' & sharin, you ol' crow (I mean raven)

CV,

Great documentary of your adventure. I'm curious about the electric fence sign in your gear photo. Did you have your fence up when the griz showed up at your tent for breakfast or did you get it after the encounter?

I have a fence that I set up but have yet to test it with a bear encounter. I'm not sure I want to either. I did hook myself to it and it worked just fine.

Jerry

Hi friends!
I really feel sorry not to answer on your many commentaries. But I am happy to find nice people on the way
they let me connect into the Internet. Mostly at the CARS and I do not like to stretch their patience. Thanks
once more to all these people on the trail they let me do this. When I’ll be back home in two month I have for sure
some time to answer all those questions they breed in your mind.

Here in Rankin I got a barrel 100LL for cheap 375 Can $. But I had to transfer the fuel with my own pump into the wings.
One thing is noticeable: Where ever I was, sooner or later the people walk by admiring my cub, also being interested
about my voyage. I stood in Rankin for a while to wash up and to get a shower.
When I was rested and recreated I continued again. And it became late again when I took off, as ever. But I like to
fly into the evening. The wind goes down and the sunset gives the landscape a romantic touch. When you land
here up north and the sun is slowly diminishing at the horizon producing long contrasting shadows it sets me into a
rest and peaceful mood, just right to set camp and go to bed, and so I did after flying 3 ½ hrs to Southhampton Island
and crossing a 40 mls wide strait. I landed on a 600ft long lime split hump somewhere in the tundra, I found
convenient for me. And I had for the next days marvelous weather, which I enjoyed doing nothing but reading,
sleeping or walking. At Coral Harbor I blended my fuel with 5 gls car gas to have a very good reserve going to
Ivujivik or even Salluit my next expected refueling points. If you are going to cross a 100 refueling wide sea
strait you want to be sure not to run out of fuel over the sea. But North Bay reported bad weather at Ivujivik.
The line between high and low was a line north to south at Nottingham Island. So I decided to fly as far as possible
to the south-east of Southhampton Island make camp there and sit out the weather. While I unpacked my camping
gear I heard a bleat. There came an orphan caribou calf running thinking I would be its mother. But when it got my
scent it showed me the butt. On landing in this sometimes featureless terrain I didn’t see a two feet high ground
undulation and my cub made a huge jump when hitting it. I goosed it a little bit and settled down. Well, this is what
happens always ever in one way or the other when doing off airport operations. I sat up a bear alarm. The
people in Coral Harbour warned me I would be right in Pole bears habitat. I was anxious to get some pictures of these
big bears. But none showed up. Next day I was fogged in for some time. The ceiling was on the ground. So I waited
knowing when the sun will come up it will melt off the fog. The call a day later, I still had bad weather, to the FSS
reported at Ivujivik 500sct 1000 sct 3000 brkn and flyable visibility for the next 10 hours. So I took the chance packed
up again and took off. I had a visibility of 1-2mls over the water and a ceiling of somewhere 100-200 feet. But also
for sure I knew, I had no obstacles in front of me for the next 100 mls. But friends, flying in the soup for the first 45
minutes with foamy waves almost touching your wheels, because the ceiling came almost on the water, it was amazing
what thoughts came up. But actually nothing has changed with my flying except the terrain under me. It is funny to
observe the psychology of your mind. I was still over open water an hour later but it had cleared up a bit. Now I flew
1000-2000 ft MSL and my mood became so much better, but it still was the same situation! I had up to 50 mls headwind
30° from the left. So it took two hours to arrive at Ivujivik. That wind was not reported. You always have to
consider this and other possible circumstances when you do that kind of flying I do. Try to have always 10-15 gls fuel
in reserve. Wind strength and direction here up north changes so fast, from calm to blowing 50 mls, from tail to nose.
AND take your time. Learn to overcome the “goitis” which gets so many people in trouble. If in doubt, sleep a night.
The people here in Ivujivik are very friendly and as ever here up north very helpful and well behaved. For me it is a
joy to be in touch with them and learn about their customs. In Ivujivik some of the women wear the old style suites
with the skirts cut out at the sides and bearing their babies in a kind of sack or hood on the back in the old Inuit fashion
way. And one real thing I observed here in town, there are far more kids then adults and a blond nurse which sticks
out of the black haired people like a light house.
I got my drum 100LL. It coasts me 820 Can $. Outch!
But well, this is up north and transportation and storage is expensive. But I am happy. So I extended my flight plan
to Labrador City. A NOTAM said that they are out of 100LL in Kuujjuaq AND Scheffersville. So I have to blend my avgas
on the way with car gas. This is no problem here up north because the car gas has to be of a very high quality. I got told
that they run here at least 92 octane if not 96. Anything else and the snowmobiles strike in the extreme cold.
So there has to be absolutely no alcohol in the car gas. Because it became late and the wind was up to 20 knots
gusting 28 and I want to make a 1000 mls flight to Labrador City, I decided to stay another night at the airport
of Ivujivik. Also a Twinotter landing at Salluit reported a severe windshear. So I had to expect strong turbulence
at the flight along the coast. Ceiling was also not favorable for sight-flying on the coast.
I do not know if it is destination or not. I woke up the next morning and a very dense fog wetted my tent. But wind was
calm. Adami Ainalik the CARS man here was so friendly and let me sit in his room to write this and to dry out from
the wet fog. He also offered me lots of coffee and gave me an arctic char to fry.
Days later I took off at 7:30 am and flew to Kangirsuk to buy 20gls autofuel to blend my 100ll with. And here it
almost got me. On touch down, being concentrated to handle the 15-20 knots wind from almost 90° from the left two
caribous suddenly appeared out of the right ditch and ran in front of my path. One retreated but the first I missed
barely by 4-6 feet. The CARS man said the day before a thousand caribous had crossed the runway.
For the past hours I flew along fog swept cliffs and over vast really barren landscapes and saw nothing! I passed the
huge 2 ½ mls wide steep meteorite crater “Crater Nouveau de Quebeq” with a lake in it and now that, a “near miss”.
But friends if you really want to see barren country fly north west Quebec. When I called FSS for weather info
and asked the lady what is between Ivujivik and Sheffersville she laughed and said “there is nothing”. Next stop
was at Kuujjuaq. A NOTAM from the FSS said there is no 100LL available up to the August 15. So I transferred the
fuel out of my jugs from the cabin into the wing tanks and off I went again. The weather was “hot” and marvellous
sunny and I had only 15 mls wind on the nose. I was heading towards Schefferville or better was looking for a
campsite between. But since about Kuujjuaq the trees were back and so the before rare landing sites became almost
nil or to rocky or swampy very risky emergency sites. I turned my course to Rivière Caniapiscau north of Scheffersville.
And right again, 30 minutes later in the last light I arrived at huge sand bars but they were “wavy”. In dawn I managed
it to find a “smooth” spot but still I hit two good 1-2 feet waves I could not see in this light. After a few big jumps my cub
finally settled down. But what a great campsite on this huge open sandbar, no bugs, warm and in the nose the
scent of warm spruce sep. It is barely to describe what I felt when I erected my camp tiered and slow in that big
empty loneliness and upcoming peacefull quite night.
I passed Schefferville next day and landed
at Wabush/Labrador City. This is an iron ore mining city with a huge mining site. There was a big hill they had
cut rectangular as you would cut cubes out of a big piece of cheese. I fuelled up my tanks and took off again.
A Canadair water bomber crew verified me that I’ll find sandbars at the Churchill River below Churchill Falls with it’s
big hydropower plants. Again I arrived in the deep canyon of the river in dawn, landed and sat camp on a nice sandbar.
Being 1000 miles south of before I have a distinct night now and because I am flying to the east it is sooner. Well, I think
I have to set camp latest at 6:30 pm not to get to much trouble. I rested for some days and enjoyed fishing. But I got
only little once. Anyway, they tasted great. One morning well rested I continued and after take off I enjoyed a low
cruise over the river in it’s deep bed. Finally I arrived at Goose Bay.
What a huge airport also not with much traffic.
But I felt like an ant on a big table being pushed around by the controllers because there were bigger
species to give place. But the people from Esso Aviat FBO were really friendly. The manger kept care that I got
a missing WAC map # 22 which I could not get because they were sold out by the Canadian publisher. A waterbomber
crew gave me their worn one.
When I wanted to take off I became shoved
around again. Five Swedish fighters for training arrived and I had to wait 15 minutes until they were on ground.
I felt pretty much lost. In the future, if I can, I for sure will avoid any big international airport, especially after 6 weeks
flying in uncontrolled airspace and aerodromes. But finally I flew direction Lourdes de Blanc Sablon. Direction N’fenland.
Looking again for a camp 2 ½ hours later I landed on a big sandbar of the Rivière de St Paul. This river had many nice
coarse red sand bars. Days later I refueled at Blanc Sablon and will continue flight.
Blanc de Sablon

Hi friends!
Sometimes you have to have a brake. Especially if it is raining like hell. I am now in N’fenland and stay in a Hotel
in Gander. I enjoy the shower, the soft bed and the delicious food. But I feel like a raven in a cave. The weather
is nice today after yesterdays rain flood. In two days I am off again back to Alaska south around the Hudson Bay.
I do not know if I’ll fly the Great Plains or shift further north to escape these hefty thunderstorms they reported
in the weather reports. But as ever “The way should be the goal”. Also being out of civilization. N’fenland is a nice
remote Island. But to civilized and you are in trouble if you land on the road. Also every, I really mean every,
open place is a soft lurking swamp. Weather is unpredictable, but this island should become my most eastern point
when I return. I want to put my hands into the waters of the Atlantic Ocean.

Nimpo Cub
The disappearing boat was built by me 14 or so years ago. I had cached it in the trees. But some how the d,.,. blacks got
over the metalarmor and ripped it apart. Well it takes three days to make a new one. Plus flying the stuff in, but this is fun.

55-PH18A
Jim
The shooter is a barely 6 pound light “Sauer und Sohn” combination gun built 1906, Cal. 9.3x74R-16/70 with an extra
insert barrel 22 l.r.. I also have a 3x Scope for it. It kicks like a mule on the range, but while hunting I never felt the recoil.

Behindpropeller
Yes I file always ever a flight plan. I file it extended for several days and request sometimes an extension to a further destination.
You can land several times up to your arrival at your planed destination. The service you pay for to Nav-Canda in this moment you
enter Canadian airspace is prime. And they really worry about you This country is so unbelievable huge and a heaven
for a bushflyer or offairportpilot like me, but if you have to get down and SAR does not know where to look for you in this
vast emptiness, they never ever find you. Filing flightplans with whom ever is mandatory in Canada. And for sure it is
strongly advisable to carry a (Iridium) satellite phone with you. This helped me several times out of difficult weather
and other situations.

Cubflyer
No I had not the fence or an alarm on. Traveling since 35 years through the bush of North West America I never had
nearly such an encounter. The only time on my recent voyage I sat up the fence at Southhampton Island in real polar
bear country. And I had my bigbore survival gun in tight reach.

CV, thank you for sharing your journey with us. I have really enjoyed the posts and the pictures, someday I hope to do something similar, it's on my "Bucket List."

Enjoy your stay in Newfoundland. That island is near and dear to me, it's my home. If you get the time, there is some beautiful country on the west coast and northern peninsula. I grew up hunting and fishing in the Long rand Mountains and Lewis Hills.

Thanks again for sharing, that is the trip of a lifetime.

As we say back home, take it easy.

Cheers!

Wannabe Cubdriver I agree with you that N’fenland is a beautiful country. It reminds me, I do not know why, being in
New Zealand not in North America. It is extremely relaxed. The people are nice, but still for me, searching for emptiness, it
is just a little bit too populated Traveling by car spending holidays would be perfect. Lifetime trip that is right, but in my age it is extremely wearing.

Nice trip and picture, but sorry buddy i live in northern quebec and for me the fish on your picture aren't artic char they look like lake trout. On char you can see red spot on his side and absence of marblings on the back and the dorsal fins and caudal.

Forgive me if i made a mistake :p

Hi friends!
Here I am back this time at Muskrat Dam, East Ontario.
But let’s start from the last time. When I crossed
the strait to N’fenland I flew north-east up to visit the rebuild Viking site at L’Anse aux Meadows. I did not land there. I doubt
that it would be appreciated from the people, when I would have landed at the museum site on the grass grounds. Well
20-30 years ago no problem, but this is modern time and everybody
is concerned about safety and liability. The RCMP for sure would have visited me. So I made a few low side passes,
made my pictures and flew back down south direction Gander. The rocky steep cliffs of the east coast of the St. Anthony
peninsula were spectacular, especially in that sunshine with little misty layers on and in the rocks, here and
there little coves with fishing harbours. When I landed in Gander and asking for weather, I got told about
a strong bad weather front, moving in from the south-west. So I took a brake after more than a month flying
and camping. I stood in a hotel room. And this was wise. Rain, fog, mist and one day a heavy rainfall, so
heavy that my little baby bottle under the cowling, I use as an oil separator, was flooded up to the brim.
On TV I learned about heavy thunderstorms and rainfalls in Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Who
knows for what these days in the hotel were good. It saved me for sure some really big headaches.

But when it cleared up I flew to Bonvista. I had chosen this place as my most easterly point traversing the continent
in my way. Landing on this abandoned paved runway was again a challenge. 20-25 knots wind 80-90°
from left burbling over the low trees made me quite working on the controls and throttle. So I sat camp and
with the last three little glasses in my Porte wine bottle I celebrated this event.
Next day I flew back to Gander to very fill up my tanks for my from now on western heading course.
The weather now was best. I crossed the Strait
of Belle Isle south of Blanc Sabon to the mainland again and landed on a nice beach to put my hands into the waters
of the Atlantic Ocean. This I was unable to do at N’fenland. The shores were too rocky and steep to land, where
I was. But now I was at the ocean waters at the eastside of the American continent.
Between Blanc Sabon and Natashqua I landed some miles upriver of Rivière Olomane at a nice short Sandbar
between three waterfalls: This was my DREAMCAMP. I enjoyed it bare-foot and body. Because of the strong wind
there were no bugs. But taking off, I had some challenge again. Still heavily loaded I had the choice between
300 feet runway and a headwind of 10-20° from the right, or 420 feet runway and 90° left crosswind. Because
the burbling wind direction was not very predictable, my decision was for the longer runway. I rotated in the very
last moment and turned with the wind and still in ground effect into the little canyon above my place. It is almost
ever astounding how fast my cub will accelerate after becoming airborne in ground effect. From 15-30 indicated to
60-70mls/hr this is done within the next 60-100feet!!
After refueling in Natashqua I wanted to set camp for night at the beach. So I landed on a nice empty narrow sand beach
with strong roaring waves (normally all nice beaches here are occupied with houses). But after 1 ½ hours I took
off again. Observing the upcoming tidewater, I was afraid that at night my camp and cub would become flooded.
The landing and take off again at this beach was a little bit tricky. Because of the narrowness I had to roll
with my left wheel on touch down through the weakening waves/breakers. Sometimes in the water
sometimes on sand I worked on the controls and throttle to hold direction on the steep side of this beach. It
splashed quite a bit. I next taxied up to the dry driftwood covered soft sanded top. After the time I had waited,
my take down beach was almost gone. So I took off on the 430 feet long soft sandy top. But the trick was this,
there was a big foot size 30 feet long log at the end which I could not move. So I made a ramp out of it,
adding smaller logs in front. It worked perfect. Almost getting airborne I got a jolt and hopped right into the air.
So I flew to Sept Isle and up the river until I found a rocky bar. When I landed I found out that this was a pretty
rough and stony one. But I managed it to set up a fairly comfortable bed. I was a little complacent next day on
take off. I underestimated the roughness of the stony bar. I only guessed the distance instead of pacing it and
I guessed it a tad bit too short. It was simply very rough. So I got no real floatation until the beginning of the water,
but I continued my take off surfing on the water. Amazing when I hit the water how fast my cub got rid of the
rolling friction. Within 30 feet it accelerated so fast that it hopped right into the air.
Full refuelled again at Sept Isle, I wanted to see that big crater at Mt. Babel/ Reservoire Manicouagan, a 35
mls diameter meteorite hit. This thing was so humongous huge, that from my altitude of 3000 feet MSL, you would
not realize it as a meteorite impact, which happened millions of years ago. There was a lake which came
somewhere from the left and disappeared somewhere to the right. Man that must have been a big bang.
Compared to this, the Cratère Nouvau de Quebec appeared like a little pinhole. Arriving Chibougamau after
more than 6 hours flight I sat up my tent behind my little bomber beside of the paved apron in the neighbourhood
of two brand new Canadair water bombers.
And being refuelled again I got the weather from the flight service, Quebec. The lady on the phone told
me about 2000’ ceiling and up, patchy rain and visibility of two miles and up. Well at first I had fair weather later
it became as described. But nearing Hearst 30-70 mils out the ceiling got down to below 150 feet and visibility
in mist WAY below 1 mile. What do you want to do? No way for an alternate because of fuel. I was afraid
to land in this crap on the airport. But 10 miles out it cleared up to more than 10 mls visibility and 2000’ceiling.
A helicopter pilot at the field, I talked with about that situation, said, that this happens quite often and the pilots
here around are accustomed to it. Well, but not me. It was simply scary to fly with 60-70 mls/hr slow and very
low with almost no visibility in such a murky weather. I was lucky that the country was flat and had no obstacles,
except a power line to the south out of my path.
But I got the cheapest fuel en route 1,45/litre and for 5 $ tiedown fee I also could set up my tent under the wing of my cub.
From Sept Isle to Hearst I became accustomed
to (for a cub) strong turbulences on this way. 25-35 miles wind on the nose and strong gusts made this flight
about 30% longer than under regular conditions and a kind of stick and rudder jockeying jumpy flight. Sometimes
I was compressed by some good G’s into the seat, next time my helmet hit the roof. Attitude changes of almost
50° within less of a second occurred quite often. But well, if you have to fly under these conditions, reactions
become instinctive and so you become accustomed to it and slowly feel somehow comfortable. You also get
a very trusty feel with your cub. It is of interest that you have to ask the flight service here in Canada for wind
information en route, but they are really concerned about ceiling and precipitation of any kind.
When I woke up at Hearst next day the weather had changed completely. I had CAVU, 2°-4° centigrade. So the
continuing flight was a joy. I landed at Pickle Lake, filed a new flight plan and landed later at Muskrat Dam an
Indian reservation. I immediately was occupied by the native police officer; he was heavily interested in
my cub and my story. How often does it happen that you get a sightseeing tour in a police car? He
proudly showed me all the little sites in his town. When he learned that I had no bread anymore he went home
and picked up some for me. I really appreciated this. Now I had a little bit for my continuing flight. But next
day on the airport became very busy. Every pilot of the commuter planes showed up and looked at my
cub and wanted to hear something about my voyage. It took a while to arrive in Gillam. I only took 9 more
gallons of fuel. I wanted to visit York Factory an old Hudson’s Bay Trading Post, which was founded at
the beginning of the 19th century. I couldn’t land there, but I got some nice pictures and landed on a little
strip on an island across on the other side. I planed to stay here for a day to ride out the incoming bad weather.
But friends this was strong. I was lucky that the wind came at least a little bit diagonal across the willows,
where I had parked my plane. At night I had to tie down my upwind wing on one of the full drums they were there.
Two, three times I thought my tent would be torn apart. I guess I had 40-50 knots blowing wind. In Gillam
they told me later they had one gust of 70!! Even a day later the flight service on the satphone advised
me to fly back to Gillam. The turbulences of that low level jet stream from NE would be to extreme for my
course via Churchill to the west.
York Factory

Sorry! It is midnight and I got a little bit distracted. I am only tired. So the pictures are not in line. Here is the rest, you have to imagine your self where to place them:
IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_09031.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

Very nice!

Very nice there C-M, bet you have a gazillion stories to tell. Stay safe, and enjoy your "aerial wandering". Bon voyage!

Thank you for posting your story and pictures! I hope the rest of your trip is as enjoyable as the first part.

Anne.

Hi friends!
I am still sailing across the continent. When I came back to Gillam at Gillam Air they asked me why I didn’t fly to Nanook an abandoned airstrip. Within one flight they saw a dozen polar bears. Well, I am not afraid to meet polar bears and to make pictures of them or to defend myself against them. But killing a polar bear in self-defense, you have to follow certain rules, you are unable if a bear is looking right through the door into your tent. But anyway it would call for a delay of at least a week with the officials. So I was happy not meeting the bears. But next time for sure. But then I am better prepared.
When I called the FIC (Flight Information Center) (FSS) to close my flight plan and to file a new one to Charlot River west of Uranium City they didn’t find me in the system. When I arrived Stony Rapids, within 10 minutes I got a call from SAR. They were looking for me. Next time I think I have to press hard, that they find me in their system and close my flight plan. But between Gillam and Stony Rapids I refueled and spend the night at the little community Lynn Lake. Their policy is to sell their fuel as cheap as possible, so the passing by traffic will stop to buy fuel. And it worked. Even at midnight the airplanes landed to get fuel.
From Stony Rapids I flew to Charlot River, a new empty gravel strip at a hydro dam and spent the night. Here I experienced the first frost on my voyage. Fishing at the shore of Lake Winnipeg was great. With on landing wind every second cast I got a pike. Finally a one monster pike ripped off my 4” spoon.
I felt a little bit sorry next day when I flew to Campsel Portage just a few miles to the west. But I needed a phone to close my flight plan and to file a new one. This little place would have been far nicer and romantic to camp. When I landed a man and picked me up. His wife offered me tea and self made cake and we sat on the terrace of their home enjoying the view over the little protected back lake. There used to be more people and also children but now many are gone. They work somewhere else. This couple runs now a little fish guiding business, just only to have to do something. I really liked that hidden little airstrip and when returning some when, I’ll make a stopover for sure.
Now, coming closer to AK, I become anxious to get back. So I flew without inter brake to High Level for refueling and continued in direction Ft. Nelson. Short behind High Level I experienced the first snow showers. Just before sunset I arrived the Ft. Nelson river with large nice, quite gravel bars in his protected canyon. Now I am back in familiar country. Since about mid Saskatchewan I observed gravel bars at the rivers. What a nice feeling came up seeing my outdoor alternates again. Now I have not to sleep on airports anymore, if I do not like to.
Ft. Nelson

C_M,
Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. Next time take Cloud Dancer with you and he would for sure have another book.

Hi friends!
Next day I had marvelous weather. The short hop to Fort Nelson from my over night gravel bar took me only 15 minutes.
Fueling up and extending my flight plan to Whitehorse was done within one hour. Since Quebec I am droning along and
being bored, because of the impossibility for my cub to land off airport. What I mentioned earlier: South---: Quebec, Ontario,
Manitoba is float country. So, I now become anxious to get back to Fairbanks. Being since two month on the (air)trail slowly
I become tired to be an air Fueling. Now I flew along snow covered mountain peaks at an altitude of 8500’, western
heading in West Alberta and the Yukon. With the fuel in my big Atlee Dodge Tanks I would be able to make it to Whitehorse
still with a reserve of 45 minutes. But my policy is to have always ever as much fuel as possible on board. In still air I have
an endurance of 640 miles. But I calculate a safety margin of at least 30 %, so my endurance shrinks down to about
430-450 miles. And how often in the past I was happy having calculated this way. How often on my voyage the winds
changed direction and/or speed. Crossing the strait from Southhampton Island to Ivujivik was one good example. At
the Island I had 15 knots wind 30°-40° from the left which sped up to 50miles when I was in the middle of the strait.
Being Scottish with fuel in such a situation the imagination is yours. Canada is a huge country with long distances
between airports. In some instances there was no 100LL available like from Ivujivik to Labrador City (Wabush).
So I took some fuel in little jugs in my cabin to be prepared and not to have empty tanks somewhere in nowhere
and falling out of the air. With this kind of flying I lived fuel wise stress free. Otherwise I became pretty nervous
and was preparing for an alternative, what ever this was. So why not landing at Watson Lake to top up my tanks?
At Watson Lake I admired the big old hangar out of the last war. This huge building was built entirely out of wood.
The beam material is fir! Inside it still is in a very good shape and used as maintenance hangar. It was funny to see the
little cubs in it like being lost. When I arrived at Whitehorse I spent the night in one of the rooms with my little bomber
parked under the window. “Petrol 60° North” offers them for a reasonable price. Passing customs next day in Northway
took only 30 minutes and off I went west to Fairbanks. I touched down on the ski strip at 5 pm.
Well, now I am back in Fairbanks and all my obligations are back. Having flown since ‘Sept Isle’ against mostly westerly
winds and in partly crappy weather, the last two days in this beautiful weather with favorable winds was a joy.

Well friends, finally a long voyage came to an end. I flew about 10000 miles in two month in my way to travel.
On the other hand I wanted to see how far it is possible to sleep under the wing of my cub traveling this way.
It was always ever a challenge, when I took off, not knowing where I would land and sleep next night or where
my course had to be set. Sometimes I decided in the middle of my flying to change my destination because en
route the winds and the weather changed (later I called the FSS to make flight plan corrections).
Friends, what was Alaska 20-30 years ago, this is still Canada. North of 60° even today you are free. Bush flying
in the real way is still alive. BUT you are absolutely responsible for your planning and pilotage., When I made my
planning from Ivujivik to Schefferville, a FSS-lady said laughing, when I asked her what is between these locations: “There is nothing!”.
You have to realize that there is for hundreds and hundreds of miles absolutely nothing than pure unchanged
nature, not one sign of human presence! Even if you have the back up of the FSS it takes only little imagination
what might go on if you get lost or run out of fuel or are somewhere down in an emergency. Especially FSS Whitehorse,
Arctic Radio and North Bay are very proficient and give you a very good service you pay for ( you get billed automatically
when you enter and use Canadian airspace). But again do not underestimate this kind of flying. With a slow
cub the weather changes often faster than you can fly! You should have a good knowledge about the performance
of your plane, about weather patterns (for instance: Cambridge Bay and Goja Haven are in the pass of a strong
low level jet stream from North Greenland to the south), outdoor skill, airplane mechanics and last but for sure
not least pilotage. How often had I to land my cub on an airport with a crosswind blowing 20 yeah 30 knots, a
real challenge. The knowledge of soil and terrain you land on is also very important. What looks out of the air,
flying 70 mls/hr, as an inviting smooth place, comes out as a head size and bigger stone bar or a very, very
boggy place when you flair. This kind of surprise is for sure not amusing. But I tell you, what a, even risky,
freedom you’ll experience.
I hope you enjoyed my voyage diary and now so long.

P.S.: I want to say thank you to all the people they helped me on my voyage to make it possible to place this
diary into the Internet.

Back