• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Control Cables Stainless vs Galvanised

Mark Reply

Mark

I believe my method for makng nicopress splices is both legal and as strong as the one you describe. The "typical" installation as described on the "FAA Methods and Techniques" manual is just that -- typical, and not mandatory.

In the section on thimble to eye splices they describe the "3-1-2" sequence of pressing, and the label under the diagram describes it as the "typical" procedure. I read that as not necessarily the "only" way to do it. They do require that your nicopress tool be in good condition and pressing fully. They also require that a sleeve gauge pass over the presses to make sure they are pressed all the way. These two items are required as I read it.

My A&P /I&A (30 years rebuilding Cubs) reccommended the "2-3-1" crimping order I use and since he oversees my work and signs off my plane as airworthy, I will use his crimping order. I came up with the cut off procedure for the tails. I also form the points of the thimble (as you do) so it will go up into the sleeve about half the length of the points. If you press the middle first, then the thimble end, it pushs the sleeve too far up onto the thimble in my opinion. I have also seen it cock the loop off to one side.

I do thank you for giving my son an idea for a science fair project called "The Weak Link in Aircraft Control Cables". We used a portable 4,000 pound shop crane and did some pull tests on 1/8", 7x19 galvenized control cable with a eye-to-fork turnbuckle, thimble, and nicopressed sleeve as is used on a PA-18 aileron horn.

See photos at:
ftp://ftp.supercub.org/upload/Crash1
(password is cub)

We did the first pull test and found the weakest link in the connection was the eye end of the turnbuckle; it snapped before the cable broke. We then nicopressed the ends without a turnbuckle installed to see if the end of the cable would slip and open before the cable snapped. I did one end with the "3-1-2" sequence like you describe, and the other end using the "2-3-1" sequence I described in my previous post.

As the tension increased with each pump of the handle, I started to hear strands of the cable break but nothing appeared, then POW. The crane almost did a back flip as the cable snapped. Upon close examination I found that the "Mark Darth / FAA 3-1-2" splice started breaking strands down inside the nicopress sleeve and snapped with only a few strands sticking outside the sleeve. The "2-3-1" splice had all the cable and showed no strands broken, hmmm.... If this was Thanksgiving and we were pulling the turkey's wishbone, you just lost.

I know this is not a conclusive test, done in a laboratory, and I should do it several times to prove my point. It tells me, though, that your theory is not necessarily correct about my splice not being as strong as yours. Either way, it's a moot point because the splice isn't the weakest link anyway. I don't think the sequence of compressing the sleeve has anything to do with the strength of the splice. The weakest points in a PA-18 control system in my opinion are, in order:

1) The aileron horn to aileron connection. The aileron horn (riveted to the aileron with aluminum rivets) will pull out of the aileron before anything else would let go.

2) The turnbuckle ends - they will snap before the cable will break.

3) The cable, which will break before the thimble loop and nicopress sleeve will slip or open up (at least with the "Crash Splice").

P.S. I measured the length of the sleeves on your "3-1-2" crimping method and my "2-3-1" crimping method and they were the same length when finished. Take care. Crash

I love it Crash, hope the science fair goes well. Wish I could get to the pictures, but I'm too computer stupid.

When I make up cables, I reference AC43.13, chapter this, paragraph that, which discribes the middle first crimp as my "Approved Technical Data". Everything I do or inspect and sign off must be done in accordance with some sort of approved data, it's all about the paperwork. No matter how you do it, it will take anyone some time to figure out how to make nice tight eyes.

Truth is, these cables are one of the strongest parts of the airframe, and if they were pulled hard, the airplane would probably tear in half before the cable broke. I think on Super Cub ailerons, the upper wind strut pulley bracket or the balance cable pulley bracket up in the wing would probably fail before anything else.

I've found cables in planes that just had one crimp in the middle of the sleeve, or just one on each end where three are required, and they were holding just fine. I added the extra crimps to make them "legal". If I knew you were going to do testing, I would have been curious to know if a single or double crimped sleeve would slide before the cable broke.

I have wondered what Pipers tool was to make that one long smooth crimp, must have been big. There are still a lot of those cables flying.

The ones I'm talking about finding are obviously not original cables, and just have one or two small crimps where three should be.

On the early Cubs, they also used two small crimps for a while. There is a old AD on it to check the dimension of the crimps, and use three crimps when making a replacement cable. Still see some of these old two crimp cables everyonce in a while.

Before crimps, they hand braided the cable ends, or were wire wrapped and soldered. Always wanted to try hand braiding them, it looks nice when done corectly, but I think a lot of bloody fingers would be involved in the learning curve.

Cable Splices

Piper was the first aircraft manufacturer to employ the Nicopress method of cable splicing. Walter C. Jamouneau was cheif Piper engineer (J-2, J-3, J-4, J-5) one day he noticed the phone company installing a telephone pole behind the factory. The telephone guy was installing the guy wires and using a big tool to squeaze sleeves onto the guy wires to secure them to the anchors. He went down and checked out the process and adopted it for aircraft cables. The FAA didn't invent it. Most of the FAA inspectors have probably never made a Nicopress splice, never fired up a TIG welder or ever bent a piece of sheetmetal. They inspect out of a manual and couldn't tell you why they suggest pressing the sleeves in a certin order (even though it is weaker). Crash

Nevermind. I had plenty to say, but it'd sound like an argument.

No offense, I'll keep doing it my way....The typical way.

Not to say Crash is wrong. It's just that any means of repair or alteration other than those "acceptable" or "approved" must have substantiating data "approved" by an FAA ASI. This is what's know as a "field approval".

DAVE

....probably said too much again. no offense.

Joe Fleeman has won many awards at OSH with J-3's and a J-5 in recent years. They were featured in EAA Vintage or Sport Aviation. He made a die for the bearing press to replicate these single crimps. I have some very old nicropress tools marked with something to do with the phone company.

SuperCub MD said:
Before crimps, they hand braided the cable ends, or were wire wrapped and soldered. Always wanted to try hand braiding them, it looks nice when done corectly, but I think a lot of bloody fingers would be involved in the learning curve.

When I did my A&P practical in 1968, I had to braid a cable for the examiner (FAA)... Haven't done one since...

Re: Cable Splices

Crash said:
The FAA didn't invent it. Most of the FAA inspectors have probably never made a Nicopress splice, never fired up a TIG welder or ever bent a piece of sheetmetal. They inspect out of a manual and couldn't tell you why they suggest pressing the sleeves in a certin order (even though it is weaker). Crash

Then again, some have...

Fishing

Diggler, are you saying that good looking woman in the picture is your wife, no way! Why would she hang around with a guy that flys a Super Cub. I'm sure she could get a guy with a bigger plane. You cut that picture out of a magazine. Crash

I priced a set of cables with Dakota Cub and they said that they are not carrying the stainless cables anymore because of fraying and failures.

Back