• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Continental 75Hp

canadiancubber

Hello folks,

Its fred here from Canada. Have not posted here since joining the forum, but I hope to post more as I think I am getting more confident about cubs anb all...

I was wondering if you guys out there could answer a question i have about Continental 75 H.P's, as in a few years, a really good buddy of mine is ready to sell me his J-3.

Now, id like to know what exactly is the difference between a 65 and a 75 HP. And what kind of club should i be putting on my cub?

thanks for your replies,

Fred

A-75

Hi Fred: The A-75 is this. I'ts an A-65 with drilled rod caps, although all 65s by now have been done. Next it has pistons with waffle reinforcing on the inside of the heads. They can be 3 or 5 ring setups and it really does'nt matter a rat's which one it is. The standard exhaust valves are replaced with the harder stellite version that will handle more heat.
The wrist pin and wrist pin bushings in the rods are smaller also.
The engine data plate is stamped with an x or something to show the change from 65-75. Compression ratios are the same, but the timing of the mags is 30-30 on the 65 and 32-29 on the 75. Nothing else in or on the engine is different. Carb, spider are both the same.
Horsepower is increased by using a shorter finer prop to bring it up to 2600. Performance gain is slim to nill over the bigger prop 65.
You can still run the prop for the 65 on it and hp will again be 65 at 2300, and the prop will be more efficient, which brings the two close to each other in performance.
All that being said , it's a good engine that maintains reliabilty with the increased rpm.
Ron

Remember there is an A-75 and a C-75.

The A-75 is of the same lineage as the A65 with oiling holes drilled in the connecting rods as described above. 75 hp is achieved at 2600rpm.

The C-75 comes from the C-85 lineage. It develope 75hp at 2275rpm.

I think there are probably more A-75's available, but I would go for a C-75 if I could find one.

Thr TCDS (engine and airframe) can be found through the FAA link on this website. Has all the information you want/need.

John Scott

Hi guys!
Thanks for your replies. Heres a question. A guy told when we were doing some local flying that the a-75 also had a different main jet in the carb. Is this true???

Thanks to you all!

Fred

canadiancubber said:
Hello folks,

Its fred here from Canada. Have not posted here since joining the forum, but I hope to post more as I think I am getting more confident about cubs anb all...

Fred

Fred

Welcome to the fourm. Crash

Hi crash!

Thanks for the welcome, its really a nice friendly atmoshpere we got here. Cant wait to take part is some of the "Debates" if i may say!!!

Thanks

Fred

canadiancubber said:
A guy told when we were doing some local flying that the a-75 also had a different main jet in the carb. Is this true???

Stands to reason that if you want more power, you need more gas! Yes, you need a different jet in the carb.

John Scott

P.S. Fred, you know anything (or have an opinion) about Husky's or Maule's?

John,

I have flown, and see operate both of those planes. First, a good buddy of mine has a pa-18-135 (o-290 D2) and it outperforms a husky with a 180HP.

But heres what i think. First, i think maybe the guy behind the stick is a big factor, and secondo, well i dont know much about those two planes, but i know cubs.

Anyway, i dont like maules, its not because i dont respect them, but in my knowledge, they need a big engine to do what a cub does with a 150 HP.

Anyway, thats my two cents worth, but they are all good airplanes to me. It just depends on what you do... but there not a cub... (sorry bout that john!!!)!!!

Cheers

Fred

A75

Considering my 65 will hit 2500 flat out , I doubt the A75 has a different jet. It a seriously misunderstood engine. You will here things like bigger carb, different spider, more compression. All nonsense.
As mentioned , tha C-75 is a different animal than the A-75
Ron

Back