• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Compass Issues Again...Again

KJC

FRIEND
Clear Lake, MN
Its a common problem, but Ive had enough of messing around with this wet compass. Its off again. We tried degausing the airframe and it worked great for about a month of so. Now its off again and no amount of adjustment will fix it. If you remove it from the airplane or at least away from the tubes, it will work fine. Definately some sort of reoccuring magnetic build up.

Ive read some of the threads regarding SIRS compasses and they seem well liked by those who have installed them. Im thinking that this would be a minor modification with a simple log entry.....? ("Removed compass from upper panel and replaced with SIRS compass mounted on windscreen. No W/B change.")

Curious what the other Mechanics think.

What you describe is normal, I have not had permanent success with degausing. I now use magnets up behind the panel to get it within cooee with the compass magnets in "neutral" and then swing per normal. This is how they swing compasses on ships.

Also curious what others say.

When heading home before GPS, I would steer 240. Didn't much make any difference where I started from - and when I got west of Dallas I was on the interstate until I could see the ocean.

You get an approximate compass heading by doing all that stuff on the chart, then strike out. In ten miles, you look at the chart and make a small correction - the wind is never right. By the time the second ticmark on your chart passes, you are on course. Hold whatever heading that is until the time elapses.

Tongue-in-cheek, of course, but that's the way I did it for about three decades. My compass is the one that came with the airplane. WWII surplus, like all the rest of the instruments.

Compass? What compass?

Oh, it is behind the elcheapo GPS Garmin 96C. Faa Says to keep compass in the plane, so it stays. Have not looked at it since.

Save time and $$$$ and just put a cheap GPS in, and it will work better.

Remote out on the wing tip works also, but weight......

I have had total electrical failures in light aircraft. I have had more than a few GPS failures.

I like the SIRS compass. Seems to work well in my airplane. As to whether it's a minor or major alteration, I don't know. It is a PMA'd part, though.

MTV

George

If you lose the elctrical and the GPS when headed home from Vldez, just keep the water on the right, that would be as accurate as my compass ;-)

Dale,

welcome to the party!!! At noon, screen running with damp muck, I realized it is the last day of grouse hunting. I got a dirty look this morning from Kat when leaving the house to work... at noon I figured out why:cry:

Total electrical failures do happen, but for that short trouble I will take the heading on the compass and work with it until I land.

I got tired of spending $$$ to get them working on a cub, only to have it out soon after.

Water on left: Anchorage

Water on right: Juneau... Got it!

Steelhead fishing 23-26 dale, mid week, but come on down to the Situk.

Mike

I too would like to have a compass that works, but I really want a panel mount, is there one that will work?

Dale,

REMOTE type

I would give you one, but it went years ago. (4 lbs or so)

Might be a wash if you rid yourself of them semi truck tires

George

Got rid of the truck tires, new 31" Buswheels :lol: Might be able to pack a compass now!

Cool Dale,

I am looking at some new tires... 10 with a 1993 Peterbuilt between.... something like 80,000 original down south miles!!!!!!!!!

Now I need the work to pay for them! Ha!

I had a remote compass when I bought the chicken. It was heavy, but worked. The remote sending unit was way out on the right wing, I think the mounting plate is still in there. Overall more weight than use.

Batteries in a portable GpS will at least get you out of the trouble where you can land if all electric goes. And if you have a map, you should know sort of where you are...

Beach right, water left and so on

Back