• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Clipped Wing SC

PA18project

Missoula MT
New to the list and probably about to show it.

Has anyone done a Reed type conversion on their SC? I know it is done on cubs but have not heard of anyone doing it on a SC.

While I understand that such a modification would (more than likely) have an ill effect on takeoff and landing rolls, it might be overcome with enough power to make it a workable package for gentlemans aerobatics and reasonable short field performance. From the few pilots I know with experience in clipped wing cubs they seem to believe it gives them more control in X-wind landing scenarios.

I could also be crazy. Not new to SC's but certainly new to mods.

Thanks for entertaining the question.

Best conversion I can think of is to sell your SC to me for a good price and buy a Decathalon. :D

There was an Experimental Clipped Supercub in Sport Aviation a couple years back. Can't remember which issue though. I don't think there is an STC for a certified version though.

Clay Hammond said:
There was an Experimental Clipped Supercub in Sport Aviation a couple years back. Can't remember which issue though. I don't think there is an STC for a certified version though.
I remember that airplane, it used Colt wings with small ailerons. I also remember the builder stating that he would someday put standard wings on it. I think an 85hp J3 Clip Wing is a ball, but its a whole different mission.

I flew a 150 hp Clipped Wing J3 with boosted ailerons one time. It only weighed 750 some odd lbs. and jumped off the ground. Roll rate was pretty impresive too.

Having one of each, I agree - get a Decathlon. They are very inexpensive for what they are. Even a 7KCAB is a better bet; they come with inverted systems, and upside down that makes a world of difference!

Back