• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Circuit breaker question

Richgj3

BENEFACTOR
LI,NY
Can an aircraft breaker fail in the mode where it trips too soon? The field breaker popped in my cub a couple of times caused by a suspected over voltage condition so we replaced the regulator and ovp only to discover when we were done that the 2 amp breaker is dead. It is open all the time. It resets mechanically, but not electrically. Waiting for a new breaker to come, but I'm wondering if I changed those other parts when it was the breaker all along. At first it would trip and it could be reset but after a couple of cycles it died.

It is a standard Potter and Brummfield pullable breaker. The alternator is a brushless PM alternator. All the electronic stuff is external I think.

Rich

Breakers get weak if repeatedly reset. They also pop if the voltage is low (amps go up). I'd check the voltage when the circuit is under near max load. Could be as simple as a bad connection somewhere. A new breaker is definitely a good idea.

Back