• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Caliper Location Cleveland Brakes on 18 Gear

PA14driver

Port Alberni, B.C.
I just received a 6" Cleveland Wheel and Brake Conversion kit (aluminum wheels with the chrome discs, 1.25" axle). Where is the best location to mount the calipers on the 18 gear? The drawing shows mounting them forward 90 degrees from the top with the bleeder screw pointing upwards. Not sure what the reasoning is here but thought I would ask.

I mounted mine on the front with the bleed on the bottom, I always put fluid in from the bottom with a small oil can and some tube.

Someone will chime in with a better answer, but one reason is for clearance if you plan on installing wheel skies. Although I have not installed skies on mine , I did position the brake calipers for this purpose. I cannot remember their orientation but the bleeders are on the bottom. Having the bleeder on the bottom can have a ground clearance problem on rough landing zones with small wheels, (I have 29" Bushwheels).
Also as the brakes are bleed from the top down, I don't know how well they would bleed with a loop if the bleeder was on the top.
Ron

The installation drawing I have shows 15 degrees up/back from vertical. Line comes out the bottom of the gear leg and in the bottom of the caliper. Looks like any other way would make an air trap to me.

Steve you ignorant slut--- the drawing is obviously wrong :agrue: :bad-words: :rock: :D :D

We installed the calipers in the "Standard" position because we don't plan to do any off airport landings. The kit comes with a short stainless tube that connects through an elbow to the bottom of the assembly. We bleed by pumping fluid through the bleed fitting on top of the caliper. That works just fine.
We welded ski fittings on (Federal / Wipaire) but as you can see, we would have to make up a new line to replace the stainless one if we ever install skis.
Darrel
P41000041.JPG

Here are some more shots:

The "Standard" setup
P7280052.JPG

Super_Cub_tech_photos_228.jpg

Skis will fit with the caliper on the front.
Super_Cub_tech_photos_225.jpg

This appears to be the standard in Alaska.
PB150124.JPG

P7310003.JPG

This rotation of the caliper seems to be another solution to gain clearance for the ski mount.
P1040155_cropped.jpg

Thanks for all of your feedback! Darrel the pictures were great. Steve has a point as to why the bleeder should be on top. Consensus I see is mounting them forward but varied as to whether the bleeder is on the top or bottom. Ron watching out for the ski installation is a good tip. I have Federal 2500 straight skis so shouldn't be an issue.

I previously posted that mine where on back (type O) they are on the front with bleeders on the bottom. I am almost 100% of the time off airport so I don't want the lines hanging down.

Back