• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C-206 goes down near Homer

Happened to talk with Jennifer this past Saturday when I stopped in Homer to visit some friends. Work with a best friend of hers who spent last night at the hospital with her and her family. If you have a contact number for divine intervention she could use the help now and for some time to come. Sounds like they all could.

Alex.. an article about this in another paper stated that Teresa Cook lived in Nanwalek. I remember a Teresa Cook who lived there and worker for Homer Air. Could it be the same person?
I remember losing a cylinder in a Homer Air 206 over Katchemak Bay. Scary!!!

Don't know if it is the same gal.
I have been doing a rating. The attached pics are from my camera, we happened to be in the area. Jimmy from Homer Air called it in just as it happened.
That beach rises up pretty fast and is packed gravel until you hit three berms of driftwood with soft sand in between them. (and some hidden logs) The tracks seem to indicate Jen was doing a good job getting it up above the tide line and then the gear either went into the soft stuff or hit a log. After that the marks make it look like the plane did a face plant end over and then tumbled side-ways to the final resting spot.
Those 206s glide like a rock after the Alaska mods are in place, so Jen did a great of a job keeping it out of the ocean water, off the cliffs, and out of the tall dead trees.

I agree Alex. It looks like Jen did a great job. The tracks indicate she was heading to the high beach to the left of where the plane came to rest. If she hadn't caught soft sand, perhaps they could have rolled out more...

Plus, from the air, that beach looks pretty flat. BUT, it really rises up about 20 to 30 feet from the water edge to the impact place.
The sea water was glassy before all the boats chopped it up. So she had little height reference, a dead engine, auto flat prop, a load of screaming passengers, and then suddenly a rising beach and no-place else to go.
Then she had to help the passengers while she was seriously injured herself, I'd fly with her anytime.

Back